21 Responses to “Who’s new? A brief interview with Jacquelyn Frank”

1. Jane November 27, 2006 at 11:09 AM #

You know when I read that article re: Frank and the comments by Kate Duffy

I’ve never been more enthusiastic about a project

I have to wonder what her other authors think? Isn’t this the editorial version of Anne Stuart’s comments a couple of weeks ago? From RWA reports, it sounded like Duffy was telling everyone she could that this is the best book she’s edited in 30 years. Again, quite a slam for her other authors.

Or do we just chalk Duffy’s statement up to promotional fodder. (although with a 6 book deal, its obviously not promotional fodder).

I also thought that the “break out” strategies for everyone’s book was a bit weak. How come there was no big cardboard display or signing tours? With a 250K print run, you have to sell alot of books to break even.

Which brings me to one other thought and then I’ll shut up. If all it takes is a good title, cover and publisher backing to make a bestseller, then why not do that sort of thing for everyone’s book?

2. May November 27, 2006 at 12:24 PM #

Frank’s book isn’t on my list. I’m waiting to see reviews before I get it. *nudges Angie gently*

Jane, did you hear about the book that lost to Diane Setterfield’s The Thirteenth Tale? It definitely doesn’t take just publisher support to become a bestseller. Besides, if every book got publisher support, then the playing field is leveled, while costs increase and that means consumer choice will fall as supply falls.

3. Jane November 27, 2006 at 1:36 PM #

No, I didn’t hear about the book that lost to Thirteenth Tale. :) But I do have a review of the Frakn book going up tomorrow.

4. Rosie November 27, 2006 at 5:21 PM #

I’ve heard enough to be intrigued and I love reading a new writer’s first book…clean slate, no expectations and lots of curiousity. It’s on the list TBB tomorrow.

5. Jana J. Hanson November 27, 2006 at 5:49 PM #

I’ve seen the RT ads for at least 3 months. I’ve been intrigued by the cover and more intrigued by the blurb each time I’ve read it (most recently last night).

I’ve decided I’m going to give Ms. Frank a chance and buy her book (although now I’m tempted to wait and read what Dear Author has to say).

6. Angie November 27, 2006 at 5:56 PM #

Jana! You’re someone who buys based on reviews? I wouldn’t have guessed that!

7. Tara Marie November 28, 2006 at 11:27 AM #

I’ve ordered the Frank book, the synopsis in RT sounded interesting, and the article in RT also said she was from Saugerties, which I would consider a “local”, she lives about 25 minutes from me and I’d like to support local writers when I can.

8. Laura November 28, 2006 at 11:36 AM #

Reading these comments are so interesting. Who cares what the publicity says or doesn’t say? Why get an attitude about it? I’ve actually read the book (gotta love those ARCs) and it’s phenomenal!

9. Angie November 28, 2006 at 11:43 AM #

Someone had an attitude? I missed it, I didn’t see attitude.

And it’s the nature of some of us to discuss things like publicity. We’re just analytical that way.

I’m glad you loved the book, I have to go out today and see if I can find a copy at Barnes and Noble!

10. sybil November 28, 2006 at 6:20 PM #

You know having lil promo except to have various big names tell me how fab the book is doesn’t work for me.

at. all.

I won’t be looking for this so of course I saw it last night at wally world. Hope you enjoy angie ;). Do tell us if it is the bestest thing since slice bread.

Hell with that print run even if it is the bestest book evah it will be in the ubs in a week… hmmm me think I am annoyed. Must go blog or something… :dammit:

11. Diana November 29, 2006 at 11:34 AM #

That Frank book was EVERYWHERE at BEA. Seriously, they had hundreds and hundreds of fancy-cover advance copies — whole architectural towers of them at the Kensington booth. So I would say there is a lot of promo.

Interesting to see the different responses, however (i.e., Jane’s viewing it as a slam against other authors, Sybil being unimpressed).

Personally, I thought the publicity efforts are huge — signing tours don’t sell much, especially in romance. The push from the publishers at BEA though? I bet they got a LOT of orders to justify that print run. So clearly it worked. And ads in the NYTBR are a REALLY big deal. But these are things that aren’t reader-direct.

12. sybil November 29, 2006 at 11:47 AM #

I think that is my biggest thing Diana. How is a book all over something that big and readers not hear about it?

The general everyday, reader… ok. But the bloggers who stalk the new stuff… the info… the whatever… nothing.

And it isn’t just publisher people at places like RWA and BEA. There are readers there not in force maybe but they are there. So does the silence mean the book bites? Or were the readers not important enough to get access to the book?

That is what annoys me. I am interested though to see if all it takes it getting the book out there. If it covers rows at Walmart… it will sell regardless of it is good or not. (I say that having no clue if it is good or not – in my lil useless reader opinion of course :sigh: )

13. Jane November 29, 2006 at 11:56 AM #

I am surprised that signing tours don’t do much in romance. I would say that Suzanne Brockmann pretty much built her career on signing tours. It’s one way to cement relationships with readers because no matter how many books the buyers buy, you still have to sell them to the reader.

14. Jacki Frank November 29, 2006 at 3:15 PM #

I never expected my story to raise so many questions or hostilities about the practices of the publishing world. I would like to say that this is an abbreviated account of the story and far more went on than you are seeing. In fact, that is the case for all of it. Much, much more goes on in this process and for such a multitude of reasons than I think others realize. Rather than nit and pick and autopsy what happened to get me on the shelves, I guess I would just like everyone to read the story. Despite the ‘fairytale’ I describe, I worked hard to make that happen…to make it available to you. No one here is omniscient and no one knows what goes into a production effort like this, but I can assure you that the last thing any publisher wants is to treat readers like peons not worth informing. The ad in RT, the promos, the bit in PW and the displays at BEA and RT are clearly about gaining attention. I did interviews and letters and much more, all efforts to get your attention. If you hadn’t heard about Jacob, it isn’t for lack of trying on my part or Kensington’s.

I hope you all read Jacob and I hope you enjoy it based on its own merit alone, not on all the backstory about its author. I look forward to your opinions once you do. :bat:

15. Angie November 29, 2006 at 3:21 PM #

I bought it last night, Jacki :)

And you’d be surprised at just what creates a furor in blogland. The things you think are most innocuous are the things that will jump out at you.

16. Jaci Burton November 29, 2006 at 4:22 PM #

I’ve been intrigued about this book for awhile now. Can’t wait to read it. :chicken:

17. Diana November 29, 2006 at 4:23 PM #

Ain’t that the truth, Angie! :exactly:

I think a lot of the time, what people hear about “everywhere” is really just a comment about where it is that they’re going. Not a positive or negastive, but sometimes we just miss out. All last year, people would talk about seeing BattleStar Galactica everywhere, but as someone without cable or a subscription to the magazines that covered it at length, I wasn’t plugged in at all. The news outlets I was reading ignored it. I didn’t even realize that the show was the same production/cast as the miniseries I’d seen several years earlier in Australia.

I don’t know why the romance bloggers might not have heard of Jacob, if they didn’t. I’m inclined to think it just fell through the cracks of that very tight knit community? LIke I said, it was all over at BEA (with a different cover). On the ARC I have, there are blurbs from Feehand, Howard, Kenyon, and Foster. They did giveaways at “fantasy and romance conventions.” All the romance people I ran into at BEA were talking about it.

To compare, I don’t know how much was made of Kresley Cole’s book pre-release and it hit the USA Today list. And I, personally, didn’t hear anything about JR Ward pre-release but I must be the only person who didn’t. I suppose I just wasn’t going ot the sites that talked about it.

And about signings — I don’t know anything about Brockmann, but I have been to dozens and dozens of signings in the romance industry — big hitters and midlisters, and this is what I see: 1) writer’s family, 2) diehard fans who flew in from out of town to meet other fans and make a day of it, 3) a few other writers hanging around looking to pick up tips. Whenever people ask me why I wasn’t on tour I ask them the last time they’d been to a booksigning. the answer was almost always “never.” I think romance is even harder than most genres because you usually aren’t doing a reading or anything else that would bring people in. In September, I talked to one of those mystery writers who ‘Made his name” touring and he said most stops he was lucky to sell a book or two — for hardcover, maybe that makes sense. But I’m not sure about MM. The real benefit is meeting booksellers and signing stock. Which is why I can see concentrating on BEA.

18. Renee Nelson November 29, 2006 at 4:46 PM #

Just to weigh in on the book…I just finished Jacob and it was fantastic. I can’t wait for the next installment.

Congrats on your first book Jacki – no matter how you ended up getting it done!

19. magic April 8, 2007 at 4:46 PM #

Jacob has to be one of the best books I have read in a long time.I’m all about the paranormal romance and this book was so different from the rest.Amazing job Jacki.I wish you all the best for the future.And I so cant wait to read more!!

20. Lisa April 10, 2007 at 1:00 PM #

:hips: I have to tell you that Ive read her book only on the basis that she contacted me and we stuck up a conversation. I find her to be an enjoyable person. She has wit and fire to match. Should it be we ever meet in RL I think she would be the type of freind you call up any time day or night cause you have something going on good or bad.
    She may not be able to help you solve it but she would weep or cry with you as the situation warrents.
    Now about JACOB. I hate, I seriously hate romances. I cant say that enough. I did figure what the heck with the book tho. She sounds so down to earth when we chat. I figure her book might be along the same wave length. I was right.
    It will take me hours or days to get into a book before I cant put it down. Man I was blasting through JACOB by page 3.
    There are ALOT of negative statements and genereal issues about Jacki and JACOB. You know what?? Its this simple: the guy on the cover is nummys; the book IMO is awesome; however make up your own mind.
    Go to your local Barnes or Daltons or what have you. Pick a copy up. Sit down somewhere for 5 minutes and skim the book. If you think it might be worth it then buy it. If you think its not then you havent wasted your money.
    You really arent wasting alot of time either. SO you go there when there is another book out you want to get. Ok you are there then cruise her book and see what you think. Not that hard, right? Right. Good luck with it and please if you like it come back and post something here or on her webbie.:hips:

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. redwyne.com » Blog Archive » Color me annoyed - December 23, 2006

[...] Dear Jane mentioned a article in Publishers Weekly a few days ago. Angie talks more about it on her blog and has a short interview up with one of the authors mentioned Jacquelyn Frank who has a book that just came out called Jacob: The Nightwalkers. [...]