12 Responses to “Why yard sales suck…”

1. Kelly June 9, 2007 at 2:54 PM #

Didn’t you know most of your stuff will sale before 7am if you have it out and ready…why you ask…because then they take it to the flee market and resale it for two or three times what they paid for it… :giggle:

As for you books…he would have sold them for at least a couple of dollars each at the flee market… :giggle:

But like you said, you’ve been motivated to go through everything and so that’s one less worry for your move… :cheer:

2. Angie June 9, 2007 at 2:58 PM #

I forgot to say that the guy also made me grumpy because he’s a bookstore owner, used bookstore. I’ve seen him around before at a previous yard sale I did years before, and at the thrift stores. I should have jacked my prices up when I saw him but my own sense of fairness wouldn’t let me. Dammit πŸ˜‰

3. Kailana June 9, 2007 at 3:40 PM #

I like shopping at yard sales for books. A few other odds and ends here and there. Hosting my own, though, I gave up bothering. I bring my books to the second hand store, and get really big garbage bags for when twice a year I throw out all the junk!

That being said, I want to get rid of some of books from my youth: Baby-sitters Club, Sweet Valley, etc. I hate to just give them away, but I can’t find anyone to take them πŸ™

4. Angie June 9, 2007 at 3:50 PM #

Those are the kind of books I’ve had stored for years, for Brianna. Though I must admit, no Babysitter Club or Sweet Valley High. But Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden there are a lot of!

5. Marianne June 9, 2007 at 4:22 PM #

Oohhh… Man, I’d love your Trixie Belden’s.

I won’t do yard sales anymore… the one or two hundred dollars isn’t worth the stress. I’ve done it twice in the past few years and the last time I swore — never, ever again.

Books I give to the library – they sell them twice a year to make money to buy books for the library. All else makes its happy way off to the Salvation Army. I get a write off and keep my blood pressure low.

I feel for you.

6. FerfelaBat June 10, 2007 at 11:33 AM #

Sigh. My neighbors have a yard sale every other month. Why do I know this? Because I have learned the hard way to make damned sure all of our stuff is tucked away on neighbor yard sale day or it will get taken. Apparently, and I did not know this rule, if it’s outside the sale zone and outside, it’s free for the taking. Dive gear. Fishing gear. Gardening tools.

I hate yard sales. Hate’m. Goodwill and tax write off are the only way to go.

7. Lynne June 10, 2007 at 12:20 PM #

FYI — I followed you over here from DearAuthor.com. πŸ™‚

Your blog post just made up my mind for me. When our house sells, I’m not doing a yard sale. Anything that can’t be sold on eBay will be donated to charity. Some yard sale customers are very aggressive, and I just don’t need that kind of grief!

I’d LOVE to have my Trixie Beldens and Kim Aldriches back!

8. MCHalliday June 10, 2007 at 2:55 PM #

I’m a haggler and enjoy shopping at market or flea stalls in countries where bartering is commonplace.

Perhaps, Angie, it would help to know that at yard sales, folk are expecting to haggle over the price tag and so you must price a wee bit higher than you want for an item. The thing to keep in mind is not to be offended by low offers, it’s simply a way of finding where the seller stands.

I have to add, your hubbie sounds like a dream. Doritos because he read your blog. (He read your blog!) Sigh.

9. Karen Erickson June 10, 2007 at 4:46 PM #

Sigh…yard sales do suck. I haven’t had one in a few years and reading your rant makes me realize why. They are a huge pain in the butt, people want it all for free, they’re rude, etc. And then you have to gather it all up and send it to Goodwill anyway.

So yeah the last few years, we just box it up and donate it. Hubby likes the write off. Much easier in my book.

I like this smilie. :chicken:

10. Jana J. Hanson June 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM #

Getting ready for yard sales is very, very tiring, as is the clean up. Yuck! The last yard sale we had was 4 or 5 years ago. Many things that didn’t sell went to Goodwill.

But I LOVE going to yard sales! There were 2 in my neighborhood this weekend. Sadly, I didn’t stop by either.

11. Kailana June 10, 2007 at 11:20 PM #

My Nancy Drew books are keepers! I have all of them from the classic set and then a lot of the newer ones. I still buy them sometimes, actually. I really like the super mysteries as well. It’s the other books that I want to get rid of.

12. Marty June 11, 2007 at 10:15 AM #

I don’t do yard sales, it’s always donate the stuff.
    :chicken: