9 Responses to “Ack! I need a topic.”

1. FerfelaBat June 25, 2007 at 9:39 PM #

~ Creative Burnout: Lighting up the fire again (Write the rejection letter you’ve always wanted to write and then sign Kate Duffy’s name to it.)

~ How to approach a publisher for ARC’s and ways to end up black listed (not reviewing the book before selling it on eBay, slandering the author in a non-review post, requesting ARC in crayon)

~ Topic Taboos: There are some things you just should not blog on your author site (Fascinating as they may be to you, linking to your arrest records and posting gory pictures of your recent apendectomy are not quite the entertainment your readers are probably looking for …)

I could go on, but you’ve probably just seen more of the inside of my head just now than you wanted to.

2. Angie June 25, 2007 at 9:47 PM #

oh my God, I’d love to write that rejection letter. As for signing Kate’s name, funny you should mention that. She told a story in a workshop panel at RT about an “agent” doing that (it was an agent who charged by submission, if that gives you any clue to the agents validity). I think the word “jail” was mentioned. *gulp*

3. FerfelaBat June 25, 2007 at 9:59 PM #

I’d never tell.

4. Shannon June 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM #

You could blog about me! :bdance:

Eh, sorry. I’ve been drinking.

Anyway, I’m up 7/11, so if I DO come up with a topic, I have to hoarde it. :wiggle:

5. BevL(QB) June 25, 2007 at 11:41 PM #

You know how you recently posted that Samhain is looking for new editors? Well we all, of course, realize that you are an absolutely FABULOUS editor and evil genius NOW. But do you have anything cringeworthy from back when you were learning what an editor is supposed to do? I’ll bet that, between you and the authors you were given to work with, there just HAS to be some stories that will scare off all but the most determined editor applicants!

6. May June 26, 2007 at 6:01 AM #

I second what Bev said.

My end of next month post is already set to post. :boobie:

7. Angie June 26, 2007 at 7:27 AM #

Hmmm, Bev. I don’t think so though I won’t be upset if one of my authors thinks differently and wants to share šŸ™‚ The thing is, I started as a proofer/critiquer, etc., before I did editing for Samhain, so most of my learning was done “on the job” in a different job, not as an editor.

I’ll have to think on this some more!

8. Jana J. Hanson June 26, 2007 at 11:15 AM #

I cannot help you — sorry! I tend to think of my topics about 2 days before.

Maybe a teaching post…everyone could learn something. POV flipflops are my big NYC pet peeve, especially since on the e-publishing level, you’re taught not to do that.

Good luck!!!

9. Imogen Howson June 26, 2007 at 1:20 PM #

Ooh, I know!
    Blog about the reasons why it’s important to stick to the guidelines when submitting to a publisher. You could introduce it by saying how several authors put themselves out of the running on the first line contest by not sticking to the rules. And it would prepare people for when Samhain re-opens for subs. šŸ˜Ž
    Immi