6 Responses to “Coming Soon: Epublishing 101”

1. Belea T. Keeney July 31, 2007 at 11:37 AM #

I think there’s a disconnect between people who think e-publishers don’t 1- select their manuscripts and 2- don’t edit/revise/change manuscripts. I’m not sure where the idea comes from but somehow, when talking to non-writers, the “civilians” have the idea that publishers like Samhain and Torquere are just posting things on the Web. It’s all in the same slot in their heads. And those are the same folks who think being “published” by PA is just as cool as a Simon & Schuster contract.

Sigh. So much educating to do:).

2. Tonni July 31, 2007 at 11:55 AM #

Well, I’m an avid reader and also a reviewer for NightOwl Romacne and I have a friend who is an aspiring writer. I dind’t know that the book world have drama(RWA thing). Until I started reviewing and going to different blogs. For me, I will like to know the everything about both e-publishing and publishing.

3. Tamara July 31, 2007 at 12:30 PM #

I would like to know if when your book is published print-on-demand (as opposed to print-on-demand (g)), whether there are *any* books on bookstore shelves (I assume since there’s no print run, there’s nothing on shelves?) and if there are no books on shelves, sales of your book depends on customers searching for “romance” at Amazon?
    With maybe some additional internet advertisement and you spamming all your friends and family to buy a copy? (g)

And also I wondered if when Samhain print-pubs a gay romance novel, does it make the shelves as quick as straight romance–or does it make the shelves at all? Is it shelved with romance or with gay/lesbian lit? I can’t find it at my Borders at all (but then I live in Texas, so…)

4. Amelia June July 31, 2007 at 12:32 PM #

The most common misconception I hear is that epublishing houses are vanity presses, without editorial staff or a selection process.

There is also the very real concern about epubs up and vanishing, or having shoddy business practices, or being somehow disreputable. As a victim of a former epub gone bad, I have to say that the RWA is right to be more cautious when offering protection to writers with epubs. Not totally refusing, just more cautious.

5. Jody W. July 31, 2007 at 2:57 PM #

I find that epublishing “myths” are at the extremes of the spectrum — either epublishing / small press publishing is shoddy, shameeful and the publisher author-mills to make a profit *or* epublishing will rake in the dough for you and be your ticket to a life of luxury, not to mention NY contracts.

One of the biggest positives for me is the fact that small presses like Samhain have a greater awareness of reader demands (or, at least, more flexibility to meet them). They can take chances on books that are on the unusual or nontraditional side, especially in the genre of romance. The shorter turn-around time means higher responsiveness to reader interests. This doesn’t mean the books taken on by epublishers are merely “bandwagon books”, though. It also doesn’t mean their stock is comprised of books that “weren’t good enough” for NY, either — some other popular and annoying misconceptions!

6. Laura July 31, 2007 at 4:50 PM #

My publisher acts the writers to pay for the one time set-up fee for the POD option. They are leaving the option to go to print up to the author.

I’m new to the industry; this is my first book published. But this seems a little backward to me. Why would the author determine if the book goes into print? Wouldn’t the sales record say that? And charging the author for anything seems wrong, even if the publisher makes no money from it. Other authors have told me this is normal and not to worry about it, but since I’m new, I don’t want to be taken for a chump.