9 Responses to “Hiring content editors and copy editors”

1. Wendy Richards January 6, 2008 at 6:48 PM #

When applying for the final line editor position there is an auto-responder saying you are no longer looking for candidates. I’m wondering if this was a glitch as the blog post was dated just today.

I’m very interested in both positions, but feel my strengths would probably be in final line editing.

Just wondering if the positions are indeed filled already, or if it was just an error.

Wendy

2. Angie January 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM #

No, I just forgot to change the autoresponder. Someone else pointed it out to me as well, thanks! Final Line Editor hiring is really an ongoing thing, I only closed it over the holidays to give myself a break.

3. Susan January 7, 2008 at 11:12 AM #

The post mentions conference duties. Does this apply to final line editors as well as content editors?

4. Angie January 7, 2008 at 11:20 AM #

No, only content editors. We wouldn’t really have any need to send final line editors to conferences. And I don’t require any editor to do conferences, so people can apply and not do that part, I’d just like to find at least one editor who is interested.

5. Kerry January 10, 2008 at 4:41 PM #

Just out of curiosity, what are Samhain’s qualification/experience requirements for a line editor?

6. Angie January 10, 2008 at 5:55 PM #

None, really. We do a two part testing process (which involves actually editing about 13-15,000 words in each round) so it’s based on the testing, not experience. Frankly, some of the worst applicants I’ve had have had “experience”.

7. Emily January 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM #

Comparing content editors with final line editors, do you prefer your final line editors to keep it brief,just correct obvious mistakes and not comment on the content? What I guess I’m asking is, could a final line editor applicant be rejected for being too diligent, making too many suggestions?

8. Angie January 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM #

Yes, that can definitly happen, Emily. We’ve had people apply for both positions who use it as an opportunity to rewrite the test manuscript. I don’t think that’s what any author is looking for in an editor and certainly not what I’m looking for in a copy editor. I don’t do that, why would I want the copy editor to?

9. Heidi December 4, 2008 at 3:07 PM #

Are you still looking for copy or line editors? If so, I’d love to send you a resume. I’ve got 10+ years editing books and catalogs and now, with kids, need to work out of the house.

Thanks