9 Responses to “Haunting last words…”

1. Highland Gal January 8, 2008 at 3:39 PM #

Sigh. I’ve seen this link a half a dozen times in the political blogs that I read. One of the bloggers even knew him. Still, I cannot yet force myself to go read the letter. It’s just too heartbreaking to think about.

And everyone issues the warning about the ending when he says goodbye to his family.

See, I’m welling up just writing this.

2. Angie January 8, 2008 at 3:50 PM #

H-Gal, I couldn’t even type this post without crying. It’s a moving read, I think once you’re ready you should give it a go. Despite the emotion behind it, you won’t be sorry.

On a seperate note, I think you’ve commented more here in the past week than in the past six months. New Years resolution? 😉

3. Michelle (MG) January 8, 2008 at 4:41 PM #

I read this yesterday, as well. Was totally choked up by the time I got to the end. Although we are Canadian, my brother fights with the US army and is part of the Special Forces/Green beret. He is stationed in Iraq for what is, I think, his 3rd or 4th tour. Letters like this one from Andrew make it all too real for me. This was one touching and far reaching post.

4. Annie January 8, 2008 at 7:47 PM #

My sister’s new husband is being deployed to Iraq this weekend. So this post really hit me hard. 🙁

5. Wendy Richards January 8, 2008 at 8:07 PM #

Thank you so much for posting this. A dear friend of ours was killed in Iraq on January 5th, 2008 when their vehicle was hit with by a roadside bomb.

6. Chris Redding January 9, 2008 at 2:12 PM #

I read this yesterday morning. With tears in my eyes.
    A friend of mine is going to Iraq next summer. Another friend and I are adopting his platoon. I told him to e-mail me with whatever he needs.
    And he has volunteered to do this.
    and I made him promis he wouldn’t foget to say goodbye to me.
    Great post from Andrew.
    RIP.

7. Gary Farber January 10, 2008 at 6:10 AM #

Olmsted. Not “Olmstead.”

8. Angie January 10, 2008 at 10:37 AM #

Hi Gary, thanks for the correction. I’ve fixed it. My sympathies on the loss of your friend.

9. Anonymous January 24, 2008 at 2:04 AM #

I’ve been super bitter about the war. I lost a part of myself because of it but I know just like Mr. Olmstead my soldier felt the same exact way.