6 Responses to “We all have our quirks”

1. Marianne January 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM #

I have one editor who hates the use of “it” and had me replace about 95% of the ones I used in a manuscript. Actually, after I worked through them (gripe, gripe, gripe), I had to admit that *most* of the time it (or, perhaps more appropriately: the replacing of the word “it”) made my writing stronger.

But, OY, did it annoy the snot out of me. LOL… I won’t go on. I could. But I won’t.

(except to say that I agree with the “said Tony” vs. “Tony said” thing… drives me batty, and now it will ALSO remind me of Winnie the Pooh).

2. Angie January 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM #

Well. That’s a new one on me. Huh.

3. Cherry January 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM #

I had an English professor like that, with seething hatred of “it”. I was so glad to get out of that class!

4. Ciar Cullen January 12, 2008 at 6:46 PM #

I once had an editor who thought everytime the word “had” was used, the sentence was passive.

But Bethany, my current Samhain editor and an all-around good egg/great editor has this thing–it’s a crackup. She zones in on the most arcane bits of history. “Is that the real translation of the ancient Mayan name of the temple? I found it like this…” “I think he was actually thrown overboard the first time he went to sea in 1840, and drowned on his second voyage four years later.” Lubs ya, Beth.

5. Laura January 14, 2008 at 8:56 AM #

As a reader, I hate it when I see a sentence that starts with To.

For example, “To settle their differences, Jack and Jill decided to arm wrestle.”

I don’t know what about it that irks me so much. I guess that’s why it’s called a pet peeve.

6. Leigh Royals January 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM #

A reading pet peeve of mine is redundancy. Yesterday within 10 pages I read the hero’s nose described as a blade…. jarring. Twice.

I have other quirks too. My pots on the stove MUST have the matching lid in use everytime. My MIL messes with me on purpose I think and puts one on that not only doesn’t match, but doesn’t quite fit.