15 Responses to “I so totally…”

1. Laura January 14, 2008 at 9:01 AM #

I know I overuse ‘nod’ as a verb. I can’t help it though. If you watch people when they speak to each other, that’s what they do. They nod in understanding, in agreement, in acknowledgement, or just to indicate they are listening. If aliens were spying on us right now, we’d look like nodding buffoons!

I am studying other forms of body language to avoid overuse, but so far, people like to nod and shrug and frown.

2. Rosie January 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM #

Uh, yeah, I’m a “so” slut. When I edit my posts I delete half of them and they are still sprinkled liberally throughout. Oh, and “and” as in “And then we…” I fix those but wonder why I feel compelled to write a fragment and then begin another one with “And then”.

And, so this is probably full of errors, but I’m not editing it before I click, Hit it. 😉

3. Jaci Burton January 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM #

My characters love the nodding. Clearly they’re bobbleheads.

And I love me some ‘well’ ‘just’ ‘and’ and ‘but’. Of course you would know that.

And where the hell are your smileys?

4. Lesley January 14, 2008 at 11:42 AM #

I’m totally bad about using “totally” too! And my favorite sentence starter for a blog is “okay.”

“Okay, so I was in the world’s largest retailer the other day…”

5. Karen Erickson January 14, 2008 at 12:38 PM #

I love so, I use it all the time. And just. Oh and in my last book that went through edits my editor pointed out that I favored want. It’s like a new word with every project! LOL

6. Kerry Allen January 14, 2008 at 12:44 PM #

“Pressed” has become a problem recently. He pressed the phone into her hand, she pressed her lips against his whatever, he pressed his whatever into her whatsit…

My subconscious is trying to tell me to iron some clothes, I guess.

7. Megan January 14, 2008 at 2:12 PM #

I use “So” all the time. And anyway. And starting sentences with “And.” (Seriously. I wasn’t just trying to be funny).

8. bettie January 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM #

Count me in for “so” and “totally”. I use ’em all the time in blog posts. I don’t worry about it, though, because I use them all the time when I’m talking, too. So I think leaving the “so”s and “totally”s (here’s a grammar question, how do you pluralize repeated instances of words in quotes?) makes it sound more like me. Deliberately avoiding words I know I overuse in conversation is one of the first things I do to establish narrative tone in a new story.

When I’m writing I overuse tons of other words. Like “that” and “pressed”. People don’t nod a lot in my stories, but they do shake their heads.

9. Kate Davies January 14, 2008 at 4:28 PM #

“Well, I do tend to overuse that one dialogue tag construction,” she said, nodding wisely.

🙂

10. Ciar Cullen January 14, 2008 at 6:00 PM #

All my characters sigh, nod, and push their hands through their hair. I have no idea why they do that.

Lately they’ve been sniffing out laughs, like some sort of clinic in which everyone has some kind of respiratory disorder.

I use “well” to start every other freaking sentence.

11. Michelle (MG) January 14, 2008 at 6:22 PM #

In the “real” world (ie blogging, forums, etc.) I seem to start everything with “OK”. In the writing world I seem to overuse “just” – “He just didn’t know what to do.”

12. Imogen Howson January 14, 2008 at 7:50 PM #

I realised today that I say ‘potentially’ a ridiculous amount.
    In writing, I incline to an overuse of ‘cold’ and ‘hard’ (faces, voices, hands…)

13. Lauren January 14, 2008 at 9:23 PM #

Um, you tell me…
    So, well, just, softly, slowly

14. Lindsey January 14, 2008 at 10:04 PM #

I so totally relate. “Really” and “just” are also problem words for me, and I had the “seriously” problem long before Grey’s Anatomy.

15. Grace January 16, 2008 at 10:17 PM #

“Shiver.” I’m currently doing a find and replace to get rid of most of them–and there are quite a few. I never realized my characters were this damn cold.