12 Responses to “I (or rather my computer) survived”

1. Libby March 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM #

I get Microsoft’s Windows Live OneCare with my Internet service and I LOVE it! It goes so much farther than McAfee ever did, with scheduled backups, PC efficiency tuning, and security. It takes care of all 3 of the PCs in our home network from a hub computer (in our case it’s mine) and OfficeMax has it on sale this week for $19.99 (normaly $50 for a year subscription). It’s so easy to use and I don’t know how I got by without it before 😀

2. Maria Zannini March 30, 2008 at 3:44 PM #

I HATE McAfee! I would rather take my chances naked than ever use them again. The last time I loaded it on my computer it froze me out completely. I had to PAY a PC rescue service to give me back my computer.

But Norton has been okay. It hasn’t given me any problems and actually saved my bacon once when a nasty virus tried to latch on.

Maria Zannini’s last blog post..Born to Boogie

3. Kendra March 30, 2008 at 4:02 PM #

I use PC-cillian. I hate Norton. http://nicemommy-evileditor.com/blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/pengydie.gif
    :penguin: It messed with my outlook email to the point of not being able to use it.

My parents got a bad virus attack and I loaded AVG for them, but not sure without formating it and reinstalling if it will work. http://nicemommy-evileditor.com/blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/oops.gif
    😳

In my day job of tech support, I see more and more computers with AVG. I haven’t tried it myself.

My sympathies to reloading your computer… I ‘ve done it to my main desktop 3 times in the last several months. (My own fault of course http://nicemommy-evileditor.com/blog/wp-includes/images/smilies/0534.gif
    :badgirl: )

Have a good rest of your weekend…

Kendra

4. Heidi March 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM #

Glad to hear you’re good to go :blue:

We’ve used Norton before but for the past while have used Avast. Free download and catches most of the :ew:

Heidi’s last blog post..The sanctity of marriage – or what I mean when I say “I’m married”

5. Michelle B March 30, 2008 at 7:29 PM #

I have had such horrible luck with anti-virus/anti-spam programs. I have tried many, but have yet to really love any of them. I’m recently started using the Zone Alarm suite. I’ve used the free Zone Alarm firewall for years and liked it. So far, so good with adding on the anti-virus and anti-spam components.

As for organizing your bookmarks, one of my co-workers uses an online bookmark management site called del.icio.us (http://del.icio.us/) so that she can access the same list of bookmarks anywhere. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think it’s a great idea!

Michelle B’s last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #23: Favorite Commercials

6. Ciar Cullen March 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM #

Huh. I have McAffee cause we just got Comcast. I had Norton. And I hated Verizon. Now I’ll wait to see how you make out before I switch again! Glad you’re back in business.

Ciar Cullen’s last blog post..The Self-Annointed

7. Erin the Innocent March 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM #

I’ve been using AVG for a few years now. I haven’t had one problem since switching to it!

Erin the Innocent’s last blog post..It’s so hard when ?

8. Ann Bruce March 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM #

I second AVG. The free version is awesome.

9. Candice Gilmer March 31, 2008 at 10:27 PM #

I actually have Trend Micro for virus protection and Spy Sweeper for spyware. Both programs work pretty well, and neither seems to bog down the computer at all.

We just bought a new desktop, and these are what came with it from Best Buy. So far, we like them both.

Candice Gilmer’s last blog post..Sorry I haven’t been around, but I need some help

10. Nicole April 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM #

I use Nod32 from eset.com and really enjoy it. It’s not obtrusive like others I’ve used and it seems to work quite well.

Just another choice since I don’t think it’s widely known. I know Nick did a lot of research before he decided on it.

Nicole’s last blog post..Lighnting reviews: Harlequin Blaze

11. Ember April 1, 2008 at 11:17 AM #

Glad you survived !

I’ve been using avast! on-Access for a few years now. Free to use, and I’ve never had a problem. (Knock on wood!)

Ember’s last blog post..Left behind,and other random notes

12. Fiona Jayde April 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM #

I’ve been using the AVG Free edition and loving it. Additional things I’d recommend are AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware blaster – the free versions are at Download.com and I’ve never had problems with em.

Hope this helps!