9 Responses to “How your editor feels about “and then””

1. Kimber An April 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM #

πŸ™ Oh, yes. This falls under the irritating little nit-pick edit. I’ve found a wonderful function on my computer. I enter the irritating little nit and it goes through the entire manuscript to find every single last one of the darn things. And then :uhuhuh: I can replace it. Whoever invented that function was brilliant.

P.S. We’re throwing a Cyber-Launch Book Party to celebrate the release of Lisa Shearin’s second novel, ARMED & MAGICAL, at the Enduring Romance blog all day today. Everyone’s invited!

Kimber An’s last blog post..Cyber-Launch Party Starts at 6 a.m. Alaska Time Today!

2. Shannon Stacey April 24, 2008 at 9:24 AM #

Gotta have it to write a synopsis, though.

This guy tries to kill this woman an den she calls her high school boyfriend to protect her even though he’s an accountant and he doesn’t know she had his baby an den the bad guy tries to kill her again an den they have sex (not the bad guy) an den she tells him about the baby an den the bad guy comes an den the hero stabs him with his mechanical pencil an den they live happily ever after.

It’s called “The Billionaire Accountant’s Hidden Deduction”.

Shannon Stacey’s last blog post..Should I go back to bed or not?

3. Kendra April 24, 2008 at 9:29 AM #

Thanks for the laugh!!! I have words I repeat in my speech all of the time too. Then there is the kids who do it to. My youngest is using “sweet” way to much. lol

4. Jaci Burton April 24, 2008 at 10:46 AM #

annnnnnnnnnnnd dennnnnnnnnnnnnn, anddddddddddd dennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, and den and den and den and den and den and den and den!

Dude….sweet! :giggle:

Jaci Burton’s last blog post..Insomnia

5. you know who April 24, 2008 at 1:38 PM #

sah…weeet…ta!

6. Nonny April 24, 2008 at 2:56 PM #

*giggles*

OK, so I’m not the only one who thinks of that with too many “and then”s… ^_^

Nonny’s last blog post..Vampires, Novels, and Updates, Oh My!

7. gwen hayes April 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM #

but..but….then isn’t a conjunction. You have to have an ‘and’ sometimes. Otherwise, it isn’t right.

*sulking in my grammar corner*

gwen hayes’s last blog post..The whole wide world

8. Angie April 26, 2008 at 7:38 AM #

Yes, and notice I didn’t say you couldn’t use it πŸ™‚ quote: I particularly notice when it’s used a lot

It is very easy to overuse not just “and then” but also “then”. If you use them frequently, you get a breathless feel, like the girl is relating the story from band camp (now I’m referencing American Pie, lol).

9. gwen hayes April 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM #

Good point. I should double check my manuscripts for “Say my name, b*@tch” too…just to be safe.

gwen hayes’s last blog post..The whole wide world