13 Responses to “Just write…”

1. Kimber An April 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM #

🙁 I feel for that author. I think every writer has their own reasons for this problem. For me, I have a bunch of stories all competing with each other to be polished. These are stories which are already finished in my head and I love them all equally. Without an agent or editor to guide me, however, I have no idea which one stands the best chance in today’s market.

The Middle Grade Space Fantasy?
    The Historical Romance?
    The Science Fiction Romance?
    The Romantic Space Fantasy?
    The Young Adult Space Fantasy?

I’m half-way through a Time Travel Romance now. My being clueless has stalled me several times. There’s so much research involved. Am I toiling in vain? I would love for someone to point and say, “Oh, that one’s your best shot. That subgenre is really heating up right now.”

If not for my writer Blog Buddies encouraging me to just keep going, I would have thrown up my hands long ago. :barf:

Kimber An’s last blog post..Tuesday News!

2. Gail Faulkner April 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM #

Yep, that’s gospel. Write every day. Set a word count goal. Doesn’t matter if you think it’s bad, read it tomorrow, just make the goal today. I had to be told this by a good friend who’s an author. It set me free.

3. Jaci Burton April 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM #

Dude….Amen and Hallelujia and let the choirs sing! :hiney:

Kimber An, the cold hard facts are, no one can tell you which book to write. Only you can decide that. If you wait around to figure it out, you’re going to be left in the dust. My advice? Choose the one calling to you the most and just write it, and let the chips fall where they may. You always have to start (and finish! definitely finish!) somewhere. 🙂

Jaci Burton’s last blog post..Guest Blogging

4. ilona andrews April 29, 2008 at 1:17 PM #

:taking time away from her ‘writing’:

Absolutely. Write every day.

PS. Unfortunately beyond pressure to produce, there is pressure to outdo yourself. And that bugger is crippling.

5. Melani Blazer April 29, 2008 at 1:42 PM #

:badgirl: <–that’s me, cuz I’m one of those who’ve started a bunch and had a hard time finishing them. I know why I did what I did, where I failed myself and what was out of my control. But I’ve always had the NEED to write every day and I really do think that’s key, even when you’re stressed to the hilt and the muse ran away with the pool boy, you have to write.

I got over the hurdle by listening to Jaci–I reviewed what I had, stopped wondering what I could “sell” the easiest and wrote what called to me. I’ve even switched gears, but books are finally getting finished. It’s a tough feeling, being lost and directionless, but no one said this author stuff was easy. :whip:

Melani Blazer’s last blog post..And it’s?.outta here

6. carolyn jean April 29, 2008 at 3:53 PM #

I always enjoy your posts. Right now I am procrastinating writing, too. I should procrastinate here more often. Now I’m getting back to work.

Kimber An…Yikes! I agree, pick one. Maybe the one that’s furthest along, or, like everyone else says, the one that speaks to you.

carolyn jean’s last blog post..A tour of my favorite worldbuilding elements of Magic Bites so far

7. Annmarie April 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM #

This is off topic slightly since i am not an author.

I think everyone, not just professional writers, should write every day. It keeps the brain stimulated. It is also a good tool to work through problems. Your subconscious often spits out things onto paper your conscious mind pushed away. I journal every single day.

Annmarie’s last blog post..I am spending the summer in a really small town.

8. Kimber An April 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM #

“Kimber An, the cold hard facts are, no one can tell you which book to write.”

Yes, they can. Novel before last, I had four I couldn’t decide between. Got a tip on a blog and polished that one up and sent it in.

Ditto on the current project, although the research has shaken my confidence badly. It’s a lot of wasted work if the story isn’t marketable.

These stories are already *complete* in my head and I love them all the same. That’s why I can do this.

Kimber An’s last blog post..Tuesday News!

9. bettie April 30, 2008 at 1:35 AM #

Eek! I’m one of those multiple WIP writers. I think I have about 9 going right now. If there’s one lesson I keep learning it’s write every day, and write what you love. Worrying about what will sell, and which WIP will be the most rewarding recipient of your scant free time takes up a hell of a lot of that scant free time. So often, we fool ourselves into thinking that worrying is some kind of useful thought process–it isn’t, it’s paralyzing and counter-productive.

bettie’s last blog post..The Best Birthday Presents?

10. DementedM April 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM #

Well said. I’m trying. If only my daughter would learn to nap!!!! That and sleep through the night.

The tireds make everything So Hard!

But I have one sub out. Two more almost ready to go and made a non-fiction sale to a momzine. Which I haven’t mentioned yet anywhere. Hey, you’re the first to know.

I’m hoping sometime next week to start working on new stuff.

M

11. Diane Craver April 30, 2008 at 5:40 PM #

I’m writing a new book, but spent a lot of time trying to find a publisher for my women’s fiction novel which has a strong romance element in it. This has taken time sending partials to publishers and editors. Now I’m playing the waiting game. I’m hoping it’ll be easier to find a publisher for the one I’m writing now (Inspirational Romance).

Great post, Angie!

12. Ciar Cullen May 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM #

This may sound loopy, but the thing that has helped me get back up on the horse after a lull is the romance divas chat room. I just go in there when I’m kinda blocked, and say “challenge me to come back with a thousand words”. For some reason, it works. At least until I get back into the habit of doing it alone. I would highly recommend this to those who need a push. There’s always someone there to ask “okay, Ciar, how much did you get done in the last hour?” And since I have the dreaded day job, that writing hour in the evening is essential.

I agree with K.A. Someone can tell you what to write. My crit partner helps me with that. Finish the damned novella, she said. And thus, I’m on the last chapter.

Ciar Cullens last blog post..Mayan Secrets is Live! On Sale this week!

13. Lynne Connolly May 3, 2008 at 8:12 PM #

I only work on one WIP at a time, because there are only so many characters I can work with.
    But I do get ideas while I’m working on one manuscript. I write them down, put them in a folder called (duh) “Ideas” and get on with the WIP. When something isn’t working it’s so easy just to move on to the next one, but you have to work a book through, go to the end, before you actually know how good it’s going to be.
    But don’t you feel sorry for those poor characters who are forever stuck in a dilemma, never to get to their happy ending?