14 Responses to “How unromantic can you make it sound?”

1. Nonny May 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM #

*laughs*

I know what you mean about unromantic weddings. My husband and I got engaged a few months after we got together (though it is important to note that we were close friends for years beforehand) and planned to be handfasted that fall.

Well, that never happened. Finances took a swan-dive, along with our health, and we didn’t have the time, money, or energy to make all the arrangements.

Late November 06, we’re looking at finances for taxes, and he mentioned that after doing calculations, we’d get significantly more money back if we were married filing jointly than if he claimed me as a dependent.

So we were married December 20th of that year in the town clerk’s office, with his best friend and his then-fiance as witnesses. 🙂

We’d probably still be engaged if it weren’t for the financial incentive. 😛

Nonnys last blog post..Master by Colette Gale

2. ilona andrews May 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM #

At my wedding, the magistrate had to tell my mother in law to take the cigarette out of her mouth…

3. May May 19, 2008 at 5:04 PM #

Umh, convince Brianna that different = romantic?

4. RC May 19, 2008 at 5:52 PM #

Many kids don’t care until later. Your daughter will probably just be fascinated with holding it over you that you were pregnant before you got married, later on.

How I know this? I was born approximately six months after my parents married. I was so not premature.

It put a damper on those no sex/safe sex conversations they had with me as a teen. I love embarrassing them, to this day.

And they, too, are happily married.

Don’t worry about it.

(p.s. My older sister met her husband by yelling out a window. She was yelling that she liked the back view. **giggle** I can’t wait to mention that to my nephew and niece when they get older. That is what sisters are for, though.)

RCs last blog post..Top searches

5. Annmarie May 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM #

I find it wildly romantic that you met your husband at a social event. You knew immediately that it was true love. Unable to stay apart even for a minute, you wed immediately. Josh rushed you off to Vegas for a wedding. He HAD to make you his. You were sooooo happy. You and Josh both shared the belief that no one should EVER have pre-marital sex. Pre-marital sex is just not the way to go.

It wasn’t until you were EIGHT months pregnant that you received a letter from the state of Nevada. Your paper work wasn’t properly submitted. You weren’t married in the eyes of the state. Josh, ever the hero, rushed you to the courthouse and married you again although you have always been the wife of his heart.

Annmaries last blog post..Company

6. Shannon Stacey May 20, 2008 at 8:48 AM #

My husband and I started out as…hmm…friends agreeing to a mutual itch scratching with no relationship implied? Not very romantic at all, and certainly not a story for the kids. (They believe we fell in love when we got together to watch Northern Exposure because I didn’t have cable. It was, in fact, on in the background, so not totally a lie.)

Since we’ve been married 15 years and 5 days, our plan definitely went awry at some point.

Shannon Staceys last blog post..Home again

7. Jackie C May 20, 2008 at 9:43 AM #

:love: ” I saw your Daddy and he was the most wonderful man I had ever seen, and I wanted him to marry me right then and there and we would live happily ever after.” :puzzle: “And,and,and…”
    Oops, I guess you are on your own after that.

8. Annie May 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM #

I love that we have similar stories! And I love how even though you and I both eloped while pregnant, it’s not meant that there’s been a lack of love in our marriages!

Oh, and our after wedding meal was at Arby’s 😀

9. Chris Redding May 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM #

If Brianna takes after you two, she isn’t going to care and she’ll probably see it as par for the course. Our kids understand so much more about us as they get older than we really know until they tell us.

10. Laura May 21, 2008 at 7:37 AM #

I’m sorry but something about your post got my hackles up. You shouldn’t have to explain that you are happily married and say you have no regrets. That was clear to me by the way you talk about your family on this blog. And I’m sure anyone who knows you realizes you are happy.

Also, you shouldn’t feel like you need a romantic story to tell your daughter. If you think about it, your story is quite romantic. The two of you exchanging vows with a child on the way. While it may not be Disney approved, it ended in happily ever after.

Brianna will find out the truth one day. She’ll put her birthday and your wedding anniversary together and figure it out. If you make up a wild romantic story now, it just looks like you are ashamed of the way you got married. There’s nothing shameful in a happily ever after.

PS. I’m doing the whole shindig- a big, grand wedding celebration in exactly 9 days. Trust me when I say the romance of wedding planning doesn’t last past month 1. Then you have 11 months of stress and family until all you’re looking forward to is the honeymoon. A justice of the peace wedding sounds incredibly romantic to me.

Lauras last blog post..Ten Tips for Wedding Planning

11. Angie May 21, 2008 at 9:43 AM #

Hm. Sorry my post got to you, Laura. I guess you don’t “know” me well enough to know it was tongue-in-cheek! If I was really upset about it, or ashamed, it’s not something I would have ever shared here, with all of my “closest friends” lol!

I know. This is my second marriage. The first started with a big wedding. And ended in a rather bitter divorce. This one has already lasted longer than that one and has been a whole heck of a lot happier.

I’m thinkin’ the stress of the wedding planning somehow made this post seem a little worse to you than it actually is. Deep breaths and congratulations!

12. Laura May 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM #

*beats head on desk*

I bet you’re right. The stress is getting to me. “You want to sit where? With whom? Your date broke up with you? No, you cannot bring an ex-convict instead. I don’t care that you love him, he’s an addict!”

Well, I think your wedding was wonderful. The second one, not the first! LOL

Lauras last blog post..Ten Tips for Wedding Planning

13. Alexis Fleming May 22, 2008 at 5:57 AM #

ROFL I cracked up when I read this. Trust me, Angie, they do get to an age where they put your anniversary and their birthday together and realize it doesn’t compute time-wise. lol Actually, I was lucky. Kelly was about eleven before she worked it out. But I never made excuses for a marriage that has now lasted 35 years. Not bad in this time and age. And I still magaged to get my daughter to 18 before she was allowed out on non-group dates. Of course, it helps when you live way out in the country.

14. Mandy M Roth May 22, 2008 at 6:43 AM #

When you come up with a great story, can Shane and I borrow it?

Mandy M Roths last blog post..Behind the Story: FreeFalling by Mary Eason