13 Responses to “I bought a book”

1. Leah Braemel July 12, 2008 at 9:28 PM #

My DH bought me a Sony eReader a couple weeks ago when they were finally released up here in Canada. At first I was bummed because it doesn’t deal with PDF’s very well, but it’s easy to hold, and I love the placement of the page turning buttons.  But there’s no backlight, so it isn’t great for low-light situations either. 🙁 (And of course, it’s not waterproof so I can’t take it in the tub, LOL.)  And for my non-Sony-bought books, I have to use a different program to convert them, but I’m married to a Gizmo Guy and am a former tech support analyst, so that’s a snap for me. And now I love it!

Leah Braemels last blog post..A Friday Funny

2. Angie July 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM #

Leah, just put your reader in a gallon size ziploc bag. Instant waterproofing 😛

Have you tried using Calibre? I understand that works quite well for creating PDFs that play well with Sony, though I don’t have any actual experience with that, of course.

3. Leah Braemel July 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM #

AngieYes, Calibre is the program I’ve been using – in order for my trifocalled eyes to be able to read them, I have to set it to double height when it’s converting and then it works really well.  It’s a very easy program to use – I’d highly recommend it – it even converts the MS Reader .lit files. I think my husband would pitch a fit if he found me with it in the tub even if it was in a baggie.  (I’ll give it a try one day when he’s not looking, LOL)

Leah Braemels last blog post..A Friday Funny

4. Nicole July 12, 2008 at 11:29 PM #

I have a booklight that is similar to this one from BN.com (except I don’t have any of the dimming issues that one seems to have) that I got at Target.  I put it on the spine of the Reader cover and flip it back (so that round part is inside the spine.  The flexible head makes it easy to maneuver the light to the perfect angle.  It also works great for paper books.

Nicoles last blog post..5th Anniversary

5. May July 13, 2008 at 2:01 AM #

Since you own like every ebook reading device in the world, or at least the notable examples in each category, how’s the iPhone as an eBook reader? I keep meaning to ask you this one, because I am not paying for a dedicated reader, no matter how dedicated I am to ebooks.

Mays last blog post..Audiobooks versus Ebooks

6. Shelley July 13, 2008 at 4:04 AM #

Have you tried an iLiad? They aren’t available in New Zealand as yet, but I am extremely curious about them. I would like a device that has a bigger screen than my Palm T/X and the only disadvantage that I can find from reading specs about he iLiad is that it appears to have no backlight! iRex Technologies have 2 versions – 1 with wireless connectivity and 1 without wireless conectivity.

7. Angie July 13, 2008 at 8:02 AM #

May, Jane has a fab review of the iPhone readers today: http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2008/07/13/review-ereader-and-bookshelf-app-for-iphone/

Before this last firmware upgrade I wouldn’t have recommended the iPhone for reading. I found getting books on it too cumbersome. I’m going to upgrade my firmware, though, and check out Bookshelf. I know Jane really loves it because she emailed me yesterday positively gushing, lol.

Shelley, I would love to try an Iliad but they’re expensive. $700! Even for a dedicated ebook reader like myself, that’s a really expensive gadget for just reading ebooks. Here’s a link for anyone following along at home: Iliad

I think that’s part of the reason the Cybook and the Iliad haven’t been as widely discussed (well that and Sony and Amazon have just had better marketing), but the price plays a huge part.

Anyway, Shelley, unless you’re willing to give up eink technology and go with an Ebookwise, you’re not going to get a backlight. Sony reps told me a few months ago they were working on a screen overlay that would light the screen, but that’s still in the works.

8. Angie July 13, 2008 at 8:12 AM #

Nicole, that booklight just looks so cumbersome to me. I think I’m resistant, too, because it’s so easy for me to move around in bed and lay in different positions with the Ebookwise, since it’s backlit and I can rotate the screen.

9. abhi July 13, 2008 at 9:22 AM #

hi brianna’s mommy – we just launched a social network for kindle owners and book lovers yesterday evening.We’re in pre-Alpha – Would appreciate it if you could join and help build the community (amazonkindle.ning.com – moving to a more book oriented url during alpha)More details at http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/social-network-for-kindle-owners-and-book-lovers/ including ‘3 Free Kindles in the first 3 months’ promotion and other information.

abhis last blog post..abhi started a discussion called What Profile Questions make the most sense?

10. May July 13, 2008 at 11:51 AM #

Ooh, thanks, because I don’t read Dear Author. I’m just generally going to wait until somebody comes up with a phone I can read on. I’m coming to realise that there is such a thing as having too many electronic devices.

Mays last blog post..Audiobooks versus Ebooks

11. Diana Castilleja July 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM #

Oh the temptation!! I’ve been eyeing a Bookwise or a Sony for over a year now. *sigh* I can’t justify the cost at this point though. The backlight is a huge pro for me, the lack of the purchasable storage (bookwise) is a con. I have a nice Sony Clie, PDA and the only thing I use it for is reading, but the battery life on it with the light on is abyssmal. One of these days I’ll get a new toy. 🙂

12. Angie July 14, 2008 at 2:20 PM #

Well, Diane, at least the Ebookwise is cheaper than the others out there. And as clunky as it is, I still love it!

13. Terri July 18, 2008 at 1:56 PM #

OMG I LOVE my Kindle… I don’t read in low light so have not bothered trying a book light. I did not like them on a real book. I LOVE that I can read outside with no glare, which always pissed me off with the backlit screens