8 Responses to “Laundry detergent”

1. Chrisredding September 16, 2008 at 7:16 PM #

It isn’t really fragrance free. Instead of listing fragrance they list the ingredients of the fragrance.
    I’ve smelled truly un-fragranced detergent when I worked doing fragrance tests for laundry detergent. It smells like old petroleum jelly,
    The fragrance in most stuff that says fragrance free is just in smaller quantities. That’s probably why it works for most people.
    Glad you found a solution.
    cmr

2. Angie September 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM #

Okay, if we’re going to argue semantics, perfume free 😛

3. Annmarie September 17, 2008 at 9:09 AM #

Hope that solves the problem.  Hives are horrid.

Annmaries last blog post..Killer Hormones

4. Sela Carsen September 17, 2008 at 9:18 AM #

Sure hope this does the trick, Angie! We switched to Tide Free & Clear and it does pretty well. We also tried the ECOS brand from Whole Foods. Not cheap, but not horrible, and it uses essential oils for scent instead of chemical perfumes.

Sela Carsens last blog post..

5. Jen September 17, 2008 at 9:26 AM #

Don’t forget to go fragrance/perfume free with your Fabric Softener too (if you use it). My DH breaks out in a rash if I use “free” detergent, but regular fabric softener. Hope your little angel gets over this soon!

Jens last blog post..Where art thou Coffee Cup?

6. jenifer September 17, 2008 at 10:25 AM #

If you’ve got access to a Costco, Kirkland has a “free” detergent that is priced quite nicely. We’ve been using it for a while, and although I’m not overly skin-sensitive, I borrowed a shirt from my mom this weekend and broke out in hives after wearing it. I can only assume it’s her whatever-is-cheapest detergent, but have had no issues with Kirkland “free”.

7. Christine McKay September 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM #

The only thing that works for me is Seventh Generation (www.seventhgeneration.com). My hubby came home one day with Tide fragrance free,yadda yadda and washed our clothes in it – yikes…I thought I was going to scratch myself bloody – pity your daughter.

8. Jewell September 19, 2008 at 11:22 AM #

Oh, I hope this solves the problem. Poor little thing.

A note on Dreft: That stuff must be the mammer-jammer of safe soaps because, well…when my hubby was in a burn unit for twenty-eight days years ago, that is what the hospital used to wash the patients.

You see, they um, need to um, heavily scrub the areas to promote healing, and Dreft was their scrub of choice.

Yes, that really is as frightening as it sounds. Sigh