18 Responses to “Goofing off”

1. Kat December 15, 2008 at 12:02 AM #

I love swirly-whirlies, so I’m liking the new theme. It has a kind of out-for-grown-up-drinks feel to it. It’s probably only a small tweak to change your template to add comment numbering.

Just had a look around and noticed that hyperlinked commenter names aren’t showing up (guessing that the stylesheet makes them white), and that comments are all uppercase. But again, small tweaks. The swirly-whirlies still win out for me. πŸ™‚

I’m scared to upgrade. Did you do it manually or use the automatic upgrade plugin (which I’ve read shouldn’t be used, but I’m lazy)?

2. Angie December 15, 2008 at 12:11 AM #

Oh, I did notice that about commenter names too, but that’s just a matter of finding and changing the style sheet, so I didn’t worry too much about it.

Upgrading is really not that bad, and once you upgrade to this version of WordPress, they include a way to do automatic upgrades from here on. I actually think upgrading is quite easy, and I did my blog and Jaci’s tonight. And it doesn’t appear that I broke either of them πŸ˜›

I love the swirly things too!

3. Phyllis D December 15, 2008 at 12:15 AM #

I like the swirls too and I like the colors. I also like your picture in the upper left. I don’t know if the picture is larger or if there’s something going on with the color combination (in a good way), but it really grabbed my attention. I can see why the numbers feature would be handy though. I look forward to seeing the other one.

4. Bobbi Kilbarger December 15, 2008 at 1:04 AM #

I really like the color scheme and the way that the category headings on the right side are highlighted.

The only negative thing that I could think about this particular scheme is the fact that your bio information is in a larger size text than the blog itself. It just seems to draw the eye’s attention to that part of the page. I can also see what you’re saying about not being sure about the many different types of fonts presented. In a way it looks busy, but then again, in a way it kind of works…

If there is a good way to adjust the fonts and sizes for the two sections, then this one would be really awesome.

5. Isabelle Santiago December 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM #

I happen to like how clean it looks. Very well organized with room for things in the sidebars. And the swirlies ARE pretty. πŸ™‚

6. Tiffany December 15, 2008 at 1:57 AM #

I really like the look of the new theme. I love the colors and I also like the swirly things. I think that with the new theme it will grab the users attention, I now it grabbed mine.

7. Karin December 15, 2008 at 8:42 AM #

I like the clean look. I also noticed the picture right away. Some of the books on the right had side don’t load – but that might be my computer. I did refresh the page and they still didn’t load so I though I would mention that. I can hardly wait for the Tuesday version!

8. Angie December 15, 2008 at 8:57 AM #

@Karin. I use a Library Thing widget for the books, and I think any non-loading images you don’t see are problems on my end, because they’ve never loaded. It has something to do with how they pull their images, I think.

Coming back this morning and looking at this theme, I do like it. I really love the colors and the swirly thing. Of course, my luck, the colors won’t work with my header and I’ll have to have a new one made πŸ˜›

9. Jenn December 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM #

I do like it, it’s very clean and the swirls are very nice in deed. I’ll have to pop over and check out Jaci’s upgraded blog as well.

Can’t wait to see the next one

10. Jaci Burton December 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM #

It looks really pretty Angie. Love the swirlies!

11. Jaci Burton December 15, 2008 at 11:32 AM #

Oh and thank you for updating my blog. Mwah!

12. Blanche December 15, 2008 at 12:35 PM #

I like the new look too!!! πŸ™‚

13. Natalie J. Damschroder December 15, 2008 at 1:13 PM #

Ah ha!

I was reading your blog last night and clicked the “read more” link to find out if I won a Kindle and everything went kerplooie. I guess you were upgrading! (Doesn’t matter, I didn’t win πŸ™‚ )

I like the layout and colors and, of course, the swirlies. I miss the numbering, too, because it told me how many more comments there were to read, and I really don’t like the all caps for the comments. But if those are little tweaky things that can be fixed, it’s definitely a pleasant read!

14. Megan December 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM #

I love the color scheme!

15. Kathy December 15, 2008 at 1:37 PM #

I like the new look. Love, love swirls!

I’ll check in and peek at tomorrow’s look.

16. Julie Trevelyan December 15, 2008 at 2:24 PM #

I like this look too. I’m a newbie to wordpress…is this a .org site? It must not be too difficult to manage overall. πŸ™‚ Been toying with creating my own wordpress site so always curious about what others think…

And I like the swirlies too. The color combo is nice as well.

17. Angie December 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM #

Julie, this is a self-hosted WordPress site. As for being difficult to manage, it’s not if you’re somewhat tech savvy or have someone tech savvy that you can call for help (or pay to do it for you). I’ve been doing mine for about 3 years now, and I don’t mind trial and error, so it’s not that bad. It’s just a time suck when I decide to change it, and there are still a lot of things I don’t understand, like some of the errors I’m having on the back end.

18. Brandy W December 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM #

I like the color and the swirlies.