15 Responses to “That kid”

1. Jaci Burton January 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM #

Since she loves swimming lessons so much, best way to deal when she misbehaves is to pull her out of the water and leave, then tell her why you’re leaving, and remind her next time what happened last time she misbehaved. I’ll bet that solves the problem. Of course you’ll have to deal with the hysteria…which is always so fun. (not)

Signed, she who raised a demon child and lived to talk about it….. :smoking:

2. Annie January 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM #

I’m worried that my girl’s going to be like that one day. 😛 You have my full sympathy!

3. Michelle (MG) January 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM #

I have an almost 7 year old one of those. So… I’m good! LOL She’s not so much with the shrieking, but in doing things and then looking at me like “who me?” or “wasn’t me” – yeah. OK. :gah: I’ve determined that boys are easier (so far).

4. Bookwormom January 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM #

Our now 13 y. o. son loved the water as a tiny baby, and was totally fearless. A dangerous combination. So we paid for baby/toddler swimming lessons. Bad bad idea, as it turned out. I breastfed him until he was just over a year old. Both of his teachers were busty young women. Can you see where I’m headed?? He was more obsessed with feeling up the ladies than he was interested in learning to swim. :boobie: You’ve never seen more flustered young women in your life, I assure you. LOL 😳 Finally we figured out a way to teach him some basics. He’d be held by a young man in the shallow water & then pointed in the direction of a young woman. No matter how far away she was the boy swam to her. Unfortunately none of the lessons stuck permanently, but it was embarrassing (and funny) at the time. :glee:

5. rebyj January 16, 2009 at 2:25 PM #

Hahahaha Bookworm!!
    Jaci’s advice sounds good.

I was 5 in Florida way back in the stoneage and my parents paid for all 6 of us kids to have swimming lessons. It didn’t go well for me , I guess Drama Queen wasn’t invented yet but that’s what I was with 2 years and 5 instructors trying to teach me while I shrieked and squealed and splashed…I still can’t swim LOL. I remember I made one woman cry .

And LOL at giving her away till 18, I have a beautiful 18 year old and she was MUCH easier to deal with at 4! They still shriek at 18.

6. Lori January 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM #

I was a bit like when I was young. I didn’t shriek or act all girlie, but I was stubborn & didn’t mind well and could be difficult to have in class. I also loved the water more than just about anything. My mom simply told me that if I didn’t behave in class we would leave and if I didn’t take the class I couldn’t go swimming any more. One canceled swim outing was all it took. That was not a happy afternoon at our house (my poor mom), but after that the swim instructor didn’t have more trouble with me.

7. Casee January 16, 2009 at 4:21 PM #

My daughter is that kid, too. The last “report card” she got from swim lessons said “She could be a great swimmer if she stopped talking enough to listen.”

Love the pic.

8. Joan January 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM #

I want to send my (will be four by summer) girl to horse camp (it’s like day care at a barn, lol) for riding lessons…but I’m afraid she’ll destroy the barn and send the teachers running for cover. Guess I’ll have to teach her myself.
    :boobie:

9. Angie January 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM #

:giggle: Bookworm. Great story.

Well, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who has “that kid”. Maybe I won’t give her away just yet. :muahaha:

10. Dena January 17, 2009 at 7:02 AM #

Hi Angie, My daughter was always better for everyone else most of the time,lol. She is turning 20 in February and when I look back at the time when she was that young it was a lot easier than when she was 17. I know right now your having a hard time but the time goes so so sooooo fast. Enjoy it, I loved the post it brought me back, thanks.

11. Dena January 17, 2009 at 7:04 AM #

Don’t know why the thanks got put there?

12. Angie January 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM #

I edited your comment to delete it, Dena. You probably just accidentally clicked the smiley without realizing.

13. azteclady January 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM #

I raised a couple of those, and you couldn’t pay me to do it again, sorry.

Jaci’s advice is exactly what I did–and it works. Yes, you deal with the hysterics and the histrionics a couple of times–or three–but they learn that you mean what you say, and pretty soon they stop testing you.

(Keeping in mind that pretty soon can last until they are oh, sixteen…)

Good luck, Angela. Experience tells me you guys are gonna need it.

14. Jill Sorenson January 18, 2009 at 10:05 PM #

My daughter screamed the entire first week of swimming lessons. I think she was three when she started. I hid in the bleachers because she wanted me to “save” her. In my situation, it was better to stay back and let her get comfortable with the teacher. After a few days, she loved it. Couldn’t wait to go back.

Is Brianna in level one? You might bump her back.

15. catie January 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM #

I’d go w/Jaci’s advice. It’s what my mom would have done and her approach of “behave yourself or we vacate and do not return until you can act like a civilized human being” *ALWAYS* worked with me. Always.