18 Responses to “Locker room realizations”

1. Huma March 23, 2009 at 7:21 PM #

They have a hard and fast rule: eyes on the wall at all times. Any man who violates that is just begging for a butt-kicking. This is what I have been told. Also, there is strict urinal etiquette. If you walk into the bathroom and no one else is there, you take the urinal farthest from the door. The next guy takes the urinal farthest from that guy. The next guy takes a urinal farthest from those two, like with two or three buffer urinals in the middle depending on how big the bathroom is. There MUST be at least one buffer urinal between two urinating men in ALL situations. If there another guy walks in and there’s no way to use a urinal without violating the 1 buffer urinal rule, that guy takes a stall.

Fascinating, isn’t it? Men are weird. But then again, the most sensitive part of their body dangles off at precisely the spot where the seams of their lower garments all converge. So yeah, we’d probably be weird if that was the case for us, too. 😛

2. Nixy Valentine March 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM #

Really? That doesn’t sound right. I’ve always known men to be more than happy to sling their bits around in front of any and all, but I’m not sure said men are representative of the whole, and it’s also entirely possible I’ve got a particularly raunchy sampling that would behave completely differently if there weren’t women around to show off (?) for.

Maybe they get conservative when they’re all alone?

Weird!

3. jaq March 23, 2009 at 7:38 PM #

A few weeks ago, my son told me that urinal rule. I took it with a grain of salt (because I’ve never heard it before) but I guess it’s true. 😛

4. December March 23, 2009 at 7:55 PM #

its odd- I used to go to a pricey gym, with a very comfortable women’s locker room. The older women seemed to wander around a lot naked.
    Now I belong to a less expensive gym, and a lot of women use the bathroom stalls to change.
    So money + age = neked?

5. KB March 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM #

Interesting, I would have guessed just the opposite.

6. Tina Gerow March 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM #

Doesn’t it sometimes feel like men are a totally different species? And they think women are weird?!? LOL…

Speaking personally, if presented with a room full of naked men with dangly bits going on, I’d be looking–and nope, not at the wall…lol.

7. azteclady March 23, 2009 at 8:42 PM #

Funny how the movies tend to portray men as a species as way more uninhibited, no?

8. Katrina Strauss March 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM #

Wow. There go all hot fantasies about what’s really going on in the men’s locker room. 😛

9. Peachfuzy March 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM #

No matter how old they get it seems that they will always be afraid that someone will have something bigger and better than what they’ve got.

10. Elisa Jankowski March 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM #

I’m surprised to hear this – my husband once told me that guys are naked in the locker room all the time; it’s women that I find are set to extremes regarding their nudity – either they are all shy and will change in a restroom stall (yuck) or they walk around nekkid willy nilly in the locker room. I don’t get the urge to stay covered up, but to each their own.

My husband did say though that even if the locker room’s full of nekkid men, no one is looking at anyone else. Is it possible that there are just as many nekkid men as women in the respective locker rooms, but men don’t/won’t notice it as much?

11. Kristen March 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM #

Huh. I always thought men were happier naked than clothed. Based on my experience with Hotrod anyway… :mrgreen:

12. Imogen Howson March 24, 2009 at 7:55 AM #

Weird. My husband has told me it’s just the opposite. Men are–not exactly flaunting themselves but comfortable with getting dry after swimming for instance, and not bothering to cover up.

Whereas in my experience women tend to be a bit more discreet.

We need a proper all-classes all-ages all-genders international survey!

13. Sandy March 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM #

Huh. My husband too told me that there were men who walked around butt naked in the locker room. It kind of freaked him out, mostly b/c some of them would sit naked on the couch in the lounge area. This was a fancy gym. We’ve switched recently, so I’ll have to ask him if the men in the new, less fancy gym are clothed.

14. Mary M. March 25, 2009 at 8:56 AM #

How funny :). I thought it was the opposite. I’ve never been to a gym so all I can remember of locker room dates back to high school where all girls where fanatics about privacy and rather prude. On the other hand, my baby brother played hockey for over 20 years and the things he’d told me about HIS locker rooms and initiations…er, let’s just say the guys didn’t seem to have any hang-ups about flaunting their bits around :hiney: . Can’t say if the others looked, though ;).

Will have to confirm that urinals rule. That’s another interesting one. :giggle:

15. Jody W. March 25, 2009 at 10:07 AM #

In the rec center gym when I took the kiddo for swim class, I just remember the mommies getting all anal about hiding their young childrens’ bodies from the other mommies and young children and thinking that was a great way to give the kid a complex.

16. Annmarie March 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM #

I don’t mind being naked. But. I was an artists model so I’ve been naked in public since 1985. In the gym, I find the fit women of all ages are more likely to be naked in gyms.

My DH says that the men’s locker room is not very naked unless it’s a gay pick up gym.

17. Mandy M Roth March 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM #

Just read this to my DH and he was like well for the most part its true but there is always some “jackass” running around in there who doesn’t care if his junk is hanging out for hte world to see. (his words not mine)

I think this news disheartening because in the movies men are hot and walking around in the buff all the time in the locker room. I’m going to continue to live in my bubble and pretend I never asked. *grin*

18. Kelly June 11, 2009 at 10:31 PM #

I always assumed that there’s more nudity in female locker rooms? Whether it was in middle school, high school or at the gym as an adult, most of the females I’ve seen in locker rooms are not at all shy about prancing around totally nude in locker rooms. I never prance around, but I’m willing to shower and change in front of other women at the gym. My husband refuses to shower or change in front of other men. And he says that it’s rare to ever see men walking around naked. In the women’s locker room at my gym many of the women do things like blow drying their hair, doing their makeup and carrying on conversations totally buck naked. I think men hate to see other men naked more than it bothers us women to see naked women?