9 Responses to “1&1 hosting: user beware”

1. Joely March 24, 2009 at 10:36 AM #

I would also like to warn people about hosting with yahoo (I had their small business package, not a freebie site). I was hacked last year and yahell customer service did nothing to help me restore my site. When I decided to move my domain as a result, I learned that they had disabled all of the WordPress export functionality in their control panel. I lost years and years of posts, which made me really sad (I’ve been blogging in some form since 2003). Luckily I had begun cross-posting to lj, and that saved the last year or so of my posts. In many ways, I felt like I was held hostage, until I finally decided that leaving was more important than keeping my old blog entries.

2. Kathie Leung March 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM #

Always good to have this kind of information, sorry you had such a rotten experience. I used to do Web design and development back in the 90’s and had my fair share of hosting trials and tribulations and having people post their experiences was always useful and very helpful. That said, I now maintain several blogs through a hosting company that I’ve been with for about a decade and they have *never* done me wrong. Their prices are phenomenal given everything they provide, including great customer service. Recently they dropped their prices in light of the recession, another big bonus in my opinion. If you are ever looking for a great hosting company that’s reliable, personable and works with you, try http://www.gh1.com (and no, I don’t get any referral bonuses, they’re just that good).

3. Chele' March 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM #

Thank you for the warning and the recommendations.

And at some point, I think I would have asked them for a decoder ring.

4. Kristen March 24, 2009 at 2:19 PM #

Good to know! I have a friend who hosts with them, but no blog, just a website. If she decides to add a blog, I’ll point her in a different direction.

5. Christine McKay March 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM #

There are a few things you can do with a MySQL to help compress it, but if you have tech person in your pocket she probably set up the tasks for you. Optimizing and analyzing your tables come first to mind.

The other thing to check about backups…not to worry you but important. If you don’t have logging on (and a lot of places don’t) you won’t be able to restore to a point in time. So say, your backup happens at 10PM every night. You do some blogging and then your system crashes at eh, Noon, without logging you’ve now lost everything from 10PM to noon…

6. Joan March 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM #

Holy crap. I work in IT…I wonder where their support center is located. I could make a few guesses based on the wording of those emails you received–‘splains a lot. :nocomment:

7. Karin March 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM #

Thanks for the warnings and recommendations about hosts. It’ll be good information to have in the future.

8. BevQB March 26, 2009 at 10:09 AM #

Crazy, frustrating anecdotes like yours make me doubly glad I stayed with the relatively low-stress Blogger. Not to say I haven’t heard a few stories with Blogger too, but all-in-all, I can live without the added stress that hosted WordPress sites seem to frequently have.

9. warthpublishinginc March 26, 2009 at 12:04 PM #

In my opinion, anyone who wants to have a successful internet business should avoid 1and1 internet like the Black Plaque. There is a reason why the Pennsylvania Better Business Bureau have them listed as: “F.” The BBB’s lowest rating.