18 Responses to “A final thanks and some thoughts”

1. Arwen August 24, 2009 at 11:25 AM #

In this world there are those that love the challenge. I would imagine that fits you. I don’t know you well at all other than Twitter and reading your blog, but you strike me as someone who, in another life, would be that woman who would strike out across the Sahara just because someone said you couldn’t do it. 🙂

It is interesting when people respond negatively. I have to wonder if your move threatens their stability somehow. Odd when people give you that much power in their lives.

2. Amy Ruttan August 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM #

Sorry you had the negativity, that’s something you don’t need when making a big move.

Again, I wish you all the best and many successes.

3. Patti August 24, 2009 at 12:12 PM #

Oh, hon, I’m sorry to hear about the negativity you experienced. You’ve done an amazing job at SP. As I mentioned you will be missed. But life in in constant flux. You must do what you feel is best for you, both personally and professionally.

Wishing you all the best. I plan to hang around and watch as you wow all the naysayers.

Smooches,
    AP

4. MarnieColette August 24, 2009 at 1:15 PM #

As a reader of your blog and twitter, I can tell you are one of those people that gives everything to the task at hand – QP will succeed because you won’t let it not.

In regards to those negative comments, I tend to think negativity comes from fear of the unknown.

5. Michelle (MG) Braden August 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM #

I have no idea why some people are reacting negatively, except to say maybe they are sad or anxious about losing you–that’s assuming it is people who are with your old publisher, but otherwise it makes no sense to me. You were the face of Samhain for so long that I can imagine it’s hard for people to make the transition. But you need to do what’s best for you, just as we all do. I am excited to see you grow and thrive with QP, just as I am excited to Samhain and the direction it will now go. Change is scary sometimes, but it’s not always a bad thing!

6. David Bridger August 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM #

I love start-ups! I’ve done two (in the brick & mortar world of not-publishing) and will always remember the thrill of those first scary months.

That said, I’ve watched the wave of publicity surrounding your move this past week, and wondered how you are. I mean, it’s like a dream come true on so many levels for QP, but I wondered how it’s been affecting you personally.

I’m sorry you got negativity thrown at you. Understandable, I suppose. Kind of. But still unpleasant and so unnecessary. I’m glad you had your family and friends around you.

7. Lauren August 24, 2009 at 3:12 PM #

People are dumb and hateful. That they can do it anonymously on blogs and speak out of their asses only highlights the dumb part.

I’m sorry you’ve been dealing with the negative stuff, but I’m thrilled for you and this challenge is one I know you can handle.

8. HelenKay Dimon August 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM #

Very sorry about the negative stuff. I guess it’s human nature and comes from fear, but knowing that doesn’t make it easy to take.

Best wishes at Quartet – you’ll do great!!

9. Inez Kelley August 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM #

As a Samhain author, I am sad to see you go but you have to do what YOU want and what is best for YOU. Everyone else can lump it. Good luck in your future. I have no doubt you will continue to be a shining voice for epublishing as a whole. Professionalism wins hands down over sour grapes.

10. Kinsey Holley August 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM #

What Inez said.

11. Angie August 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM #

Thanks, everyone! And thank you, David, for wondering how I’m doing. I am very excited about this so I hope people will give it a chance!

12. Bev Stephans August 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM #

As far as the negativity goes, hang in there Angie! Non Illegitima carborundum!

(God, I hope I spelled it correctly!)

13. Val Robertson August 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM #

Breathe, Angie, and don’t let those of limited vision get on your nerves.

You’re going to create something wonderful. And if they don’t want to be part of that, well, it’s their problem. I don’t think there’s even medication for what’s wrong with them.

I’m very pleased (and proud) that you were my first editor. God willing, and if I can write well enough, you’ll be my editor again. Now go be your fabulous self at Quartet so I can watch.

14. catie james August 25, 2009 at 3:10 AM #

Phooey on those wretched naysayers! No doubt your absence will be felt at Samhain, but you will do great things at QuartetPress as well.

15. Debra Parmley August 25, 2009 at 9:24 AM #

It must feel very strange to have this happen publicly and it’s a shame that some are sending negativity your way instead of wishing you well. Anyone who watches publishing professionals for any length of time will see that editors do move around and it’s not personal.
    Of course you will prove the naysayers wrong.
    Wishing you all the best.

16. azteclady August 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM #

(((Ms James)))

I am very sorry about the negativity directed at you.

There are many more who wish you the best, though, and I hope that helps some.

17. Imogen Howson August 26, 2009 at 3:07 AM #

I can understand disappointment from, say, your authors (not disappointment *at* you, but disappointment they’re losing you), but bitterness and anger is surprising–and horrible, I’m sorry!

I hope the next few months/years are lots of fun for you, and that Quartet becomes one of the publishers people mention when they’re talking about the best epubs around. As well as Samhain, obviously. 😉

18. Georgia Woods September 2, 2009 at 5:04 PM #

Hi Angie – best of luck to you. You have a lot of folks behind you and wishing you well.

As for the negative comments, anger, aggression, you should pay no attention to that. I usually find those who respond negatively to something that is a positive change for me are those who are selfishly worrying about what the change will mean to them and have little or no care about what is good for me. Therefore their feelings should carry no weight in your decisions or in your mind. Those who really care about us want what is best for US, not what is best for themselves.

Hugs!