7 Responses to “Pitching under pressure”

1. Sara Nash October 19, 2009 at 12:27 PM #

Oh yes, please. An online workshop or something. I believe I can reach the point where my writing will stand on its own, but the reality of pitching it scares the bejeebers out of me. It combines all of the most bloodcurdling bits of public speaking and self-promotion.

2. Rhonda October 19, 2009 at 12:39 PM #

Recently I had a pitch appointmnet scheduled at a conference. I found out the week before who the appointment was with and I knew I didn’t have material specifically for her, so I was going to give up the appointment (even though I have wanted to meet her face to face since meeting her online 9 yrs ago, lol). Luckily it was small conference, and the coordinator, said, just go in and chat if you’d like to keep the appointment. Boy was that the best 10 mintues, after a breif intro, she started asking questions, since what I had ready to pitch was category romance, we discussed the line, theme, possible series (which I already had blurbed), etc. Ended up she told me what I could do to make stronger – a few minor changes, how to package the query, etc. (and I got a request 🙂

I think this is a fantastic idea, no matter what way you go with, and so much ‘easier’ than a pitch appointment!

3. Kathleen MacIver October 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM #

Oh yes!!! If I was at a conference and had the choice of having an editor’s pitch critique or pitching for real, I’d take the pitch critique hands down!!! Especially if it included a few minutes of the agent asking the questions that the pitch should answer and doesn’t, and me offering those answers. That way I’d know if my problem was my pitch (which wasn’t including those answers) or my story (which didn’t provide good answers to those questions.)

4. Sunny Lyn October 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM #

What a fabulous idea! I know in our own chapter (RWA) we’ve had at least one session on pitch vs query, hooks, all of it rolled into one (or two), but to me a focused pitch session with critique would be invaluable, especially for the month of June (right before many writers head for national RWA). I wouldn’t be surprised if you find that month booked solid next year after I’ve said this – lol.

Best. Good post.

5. Val Robertson October 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM #

Angie,
    Would you like to do a pitch critique session at the Popular Fiction Association of Idaho conference, the first weekend of June, 2011? That’s the next conference I’m planning at PFAI board president, and I would be elated to have you as a guest of honor.

• Angie October 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM #

I would definitely be interested, Val. Email me anytime and we can chat about it.

6. Sarah October 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM #

Yes, I’m sure one of my chapters would be interested in a online workshop on this subject, as far as I know they’ve still got to plan next years classes. I’ll be back once I know more.