15 Responses to “11/22 Weekly Menu”

1. Jenna Bayley-Burke November 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM #

I started doing weekly meal planning because I tend to overbuy without a plan – I’ll grab every gorgeous vegetable at the grocery without any clue how it will make it to the plate.

So, it helps me not to waste, and it does make me less of a witch in the witching hour! I plan 6 meals, but not to the day they’ll be on. Day 7 is leftovers, or eating out, but usually a meal at the in-laws or a friends house.

1 – roast chicken, potatoes, peas
    2 – peanut pasta with veggies and leftover chicken
    3 – kung pao chicken with jasmine rice
    4 – spaghetti & meatballs
    5 – carmelized onion mac & cheese
    6 – Thanksgiving

2. Elise Logan November 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM #

I am woefully bad at the weekly plan.

Mostly because I plan, then get there and am too lazy to do that day’s plan. lol.

3. Kwana November 23, 2009 at 4:29 PM #

I really like the weekly menu idea and need to get better with it. A good money and time saver.

4. Angela November 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM #

Elise, that does happen to me too! Some days are just so long that by the time dinner rolls around, I don’t want to move in order to cook. But having the menu idea and ingredients does make it that much easier to get motivated.

5. Rose Fox November 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM #

Weekly planning doesn’t work for me at all; my tastes and schedule are too mercurial. Instead, I make huge batches of tasty things–chicken soup, lamb stew, Thai green curry–and freeze them in single-meal portions. Then there’s always a variety to choose from and I can go with whatever suits my fancy.

6. Victoria Martin November 23, 2009 at 9:04 PM #

I love weekly planning. Since I’ve started this, I’ve been able to use coupons and save more money (which gets set aside in a ‘fun’ account).

Monday – 12 minute pork chops, steamed green beans, potatoes
    Tuesday – spaghetti with meat sauce (sauce is made in one large batch and frozen in 2 serving containers)
    Wednesday – chicken with rice, salad
    Thursday – Thanksgiving, but usually sloppy joes as that’s grocery shopping night.
    Friday – weekly pizza night, we’re too tired to go out.
    Saturday – eat out
    Sunday – soup night, with fresh bread. (The rule is homemade for this dinner. We generally have cream of carrot, shrimp & corn chowder, or mulligatawny soup)

7. Annmarie November 23, 2009 at 9:36 PM #

I need to start doing this. I also need to do a better job with coupons. Our Sunday paper usually has a weekly menu plan that can be used verbatim or as inspiration.

8. Angela November 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM #

We used to save SO much money with couponing, Annmarie. There are a ton of blogs that are dedicated to shopping the sales with coupons. You could never pay for things like toothpaste and deodorant again.

9. Angela November 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM #

Rose, sometimes I change up my meal plan if something just does not appeal to me. Like I said, my plan is flexible but if I didn’t have one at all, my family would eat nothing but sandwiches!

10. Angela November 23, 2009 at 9:40 PM #

Hey, Victoria, what kind of bread do you usually make?

11. Victoria Martin November 24, 2009 at 5:30 AM #

If the link doesn’t work, it’s called “French Style Country Bread”. You can make it the old fashioned way or in a bread maker.
    I’ve been having good luck with this recipe for a while – I make the starter on Saturday morning and let it sit on the counter until Sunday evening. The crust is crisp but the inside is very soft, with the holey texture that catches a lot of butter!

12. Angela November 24, 2009 at 9:32 AM #

Thanks for sharing that link, Victoria. I’m going to save it!

13. GailDayton November 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM #

I have done weekly menus in the past–I can do 30-minute burritos, so I seldom do those crockpot. Carnitas take longer. Carne guisada–I could do that in the crockpot. Also green chili stew. Made gumbo Sat. w/bratwurst, believe it or not, and frozen shrimp. Would’ve been better w/boudin sausage, but you go with what you’ve got.

Part of my problem is that the fella is gluten free, so I can’t do pasta stuff in a casserole like the tetrazzini (tho we get care pckges with Trader Joe’s brown rice pasta from the daughter in Pittsburgh. We’re in Galveston, TX, and the nearest Trader Joe’s is in Memphis…) I do sauce & pasta separately, so I can make rice for the fella to eat with his Alfredo or marinara sauce.

It’s nice, tho that we’re Texans, so we already eat a lot of corn & rice–love cornbread, corn tortillas, etc. Anyway– I think if I did more planning, we could take more advantage of the fresh seafood available. I still have a huge hunk of mackerel in the freezer the son’s friend caught and gave to us. (We already ate about half of it.) I need to make a list, so I can remember to marinate it… This piece of fish is about 10″x12″ and 4 in. thick…Huge.

14. Dianne Fox November 24, 2009 at 1:13 PM #

I tried menu planning with a meal chosen for each day of the week. I failed miserably. As someone mentioned above, I would find myself too tired to cook that day’s meal, and so I’d end up ordering out instead. Of course, not planning at all leads to the same thing. (I am LAZY.)

So now I plan ahead by picking four or five dishes I’d like to make that week, I buy the items for those dishes, and then I put a list up on the refrigerator of the meal options. Then, each evening, I figure out what the next day’s schedule is and what I’m likely to have time to make. It works a lot better for me than trying to figure out what I’m going to have the energy to make a week in advance.

15. Jane November 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM #

Victoria, thanks so much for the link to the bread recipe. For the first time in years I am thinking of making time to baake my own bread again.