6 Responses to “Other Cooks in the Kitchen…Leftovers edition”

1. Gail Dayton November 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM #

Okay, yeah, we’re Texans. Tex Mex is comfort food, but turkey tostadas/tacos is one of our favorite turkey leftover ideas. It just takes a can of tomato sauce (once the turkey is sauteed with onions) and as much cumin as you think makes it taste Mexican-y enough. (I think the original recipe calls for maybe 1 tsp. I just shake till it tastes right.) It is NOT spicy-hot. Just flavorful.

My sister really likes to do turkey gumbo. It has rice and okra and other gumbo-y things in it–andouille sausage, celery, bell peppers, cayenne, garlic, onions. She makes it with a roux, but I leave the roux off for my gluten free fella.

However, I will have to wait till Christmas to get to do any of these yummy things. We had Thanksgiving with a lot of large college-aged young men, and there’s no turkey left. No sandwiches. No gumbo. No tostadas. Alas.

2. Angela November 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM #

Mmm, those sound good. I would never have thought of doing either!

3. Tara Marie December 1, 2009 at 5:43 AM #

Turkey salad is one of my favorite leftovers… mayo, finely chopped onions, celery mixed with dried cranberries (sweetened) and chopped walnuts or pecans, salt and pepper to taste.

4. Angela December 1, 2009 at 9:10 AM #

Oh, Tara Marie, where were you when I needed a recipe for the very last of the turkey? That sounds perfect!

5. Sela Carsen December 1, 2009 at 9:21 AM #

I just finished picking off the last of the turkey meat (went into a quiche) and boiling the carcass last night for stock and to make Cream of Turkey and Rice soup tonight.

6. Angela December 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM #

I saw an amazing recipe for Cream of Turkey and Rice soup on allrecipes.com that I was going to make, but somehow I had NO long grain or wild rice. How does that happen?