8 Responses to “12/20-12/26 Weekly Menu”

1. abby stokes December 20, 2009 at 9:45 AM #

This year will be a bit of a challenge. My sister’s 50th is on 12/27, but is to be celebrated on Xmas night as she leaves for a trip the morning after. Now there isn’t enough room for the baby Jesus and my sister. (I’m sure Jesus would naturally share, but not Eve.) So, Xmas morning – chocolate chip pancakes – will be when we see if we’ve been naughty or nice. Then quick as lightening, every Xmas ornament, wreath, anything green and red, lights, EVERYTHING needs to come down and be put away. That night, Eve’s standard birthday dinner – mashed potatoes (russet, I prefer yukon gold), spare ribs w/aso sauce, le sur peas, shoe peg corn and pepperidge farm croissant, eclairs for dessert. God forbid someone wraps a birthday gift in Xmas paper. It will not be pretty.

2. Annmarie December 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM #

Appetizers are my total favorite!

I love sweet and sour meatballs, salmon mousse, I have a festive cheese ball shaped in the form of a pine cone recipe I use, and homemade pimento cheese on bread rounds.

I go to Mama’s for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Our Christmas Eve tradition is homemade soup and homemade bread. The soup varies from year to year. On Christmas Day I am always asked to bring my Cabbage Casserole and I usually bring Green Bean Bundles.

3. AnneD December 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM #

It’s just us 3 on Xmas day, but we still do a fairly big meal. Not entirely sure what we’ll be having, but something like

Roast Lamb with mint sauce (might be a pork roast this year)
    Baby peas
    Roasted potatoes (or maybe baby potatoes boiled with mint)
    Fresh bread
    Gravy of course!

Desserts are where we really spoil ourselves (and yes it’s overkill, but it’s our taste of home day):
    Pavlova (I’ve gotten pretty good at making big fluffy ones)
    Trifle (which reminds me I better go buy some Sherry)
    Chocolate log

And Boxing Day morning breakfast is always left over Xmas day desserts. Mmmmm 🙂

4. Ann December 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM #

Not sure when I’ll fit all the cooking in but this is the plan (to this point):
    Ham, roasted chickens (two, because the Hubster seems to think one will not be enough!), Rice-and-peas (very traditionally Jamaican, and I’m likely to be run out of town on a rail if I don’t make it), broccoli (with cheese sauce if I don’t bake a macaroni and cheese), mashed potatoes made with both white and sweet, and corn. Lots of gravy. L.O.T.S.

Dessert is Jamaican “Plum pudding” (why is is called that, when there are no plums in it, per se?) and, because the Hubster’s birthday is the 27th, I’ll bake him a pineapple upside-down cake.

I always think there’ll be lots of leftovers and, because of the two sons, am always sorely disappointed.

5. AnneD December 21, 2009 at 11:19 AM #

Ann – In NZ we have ‘Plum Duff’ which I think will be a similar thing as your plum pudding – lots of fruit, waterbath/steam cooked?

6. Shannon Stacey December 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM #

We just finished finalizing our Christmas Day menu:

Appetizers: pepperoni, cheese & crackers

Entree: Cheeseburgers
    Side: Chips

Dessert: M&Ms and Kisses from our stockings

7. Kati December 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM #

My family does only apps and dessert for our Christmas get-together. I’m making the all time favorite pigs in a blanket, but we do a twist on them, and melt butter and brown sugar and pour that on the bottom of the pyrex, and then add chopped nuts (usually walnuts) and then put the pigs on top. Bake as usual. I’ve literally never, ever had to throw even one of these away, they go like nobody’s business!

8. Ann December 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM #

AnneD
    Only just had a chance to look up the Plum Duff recipe on-line, and there are some marked similarities. A lot of our traditional foods have their roots in British dishes, but adapted to the tropics. Back in the 18th and 19th centuries it took too long for things like fruit to be brought to the Islands, and they would have spoiled on the way. So it makes sense that the plums etc. would be replaced with dried fruit. I think you hit the nail on the head!