18 Responses to “Boilermaker Chili”

1. Gail Dayton January 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM #

I usually cook dried pintos in a separate pot from the one the chili (meat) cooks in. I can’t cook w/beer because it has gluten in it and the fella’s not allowed. The rest of it sounds great, though… Does the cocoa/chocolate go in with the sugar? Are these green chiles the New Mexico Hatch-style greens? Love the flavor of those…
    Yeah. I tend to go more basic, but this sounds good.

2. Jusy January 13, 2010 at 1:54 PM #

This sounds cook. I was hankering for another try at my crockpot.

What was the spicy hot level as I see Tabasco was added? I really don’t like spicy hot. I like mild chili.

3. Angela January 13, 2010 at 1:57 PM #

@Gail: No beer? How sad 🙁 I can’t comment on the chiles because I didn’t use them. I don’t think the recipe demands a certain kind.

@Jusy: I actually used Frank’s Red Hot, which is I think a little more mild. I like milder chili too, though my brother and husband prefer spicier. If you want more mild, leave out the green chile, use only one can of Rotel and use a can of plain diced tomatoes in its place.

4. Kati January 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM #

Angie – Question. We’ve got relatively wimpy mouths in our family, but love chili. Other than the chilies, this doesn’t look too spicy. How would you rate the heat level on a scale from 1-10, 10 being very spicy?

Thanks!

5. Angela January 13, 2010 at 2:20 PM #

Hm. 5 or less. If you leave out the chiles (which I did) and do what I suggested for Jusy, with the Rotels (which add heat) then you’ll have even less heat than I did. Don’t be afraid of the chili powder, as that doesn’t really add much heat, so don’t try to control it there. Control it with the other ingredients. You could also cut the cayenne in half.

6. Shannon Stacey January 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM #

I was raised believing kidney beans were used for chili. No wonder I can’t cook.

This looks good, but I can’t figure out how to substitute all the tomato stuff. I can’t have lumps. I can use sauce and/or paste, but no diced/chopped/otherwise made lumpy tomatoes.

Also, no onions or peppers.

What’s left? Beer and Fritos! My kind of recipe. 🙂

7. Tara Marie January 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM #

I’ve been looking for a good chili recipe. This sounds good.

Shannon–when I was a kid my dad wouldn’t eat “lumpy” tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic (the list goes on and on) so my mom would through everything into a blender and liquify it, if you can’t see it–it’s not there.

8. Angela January 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM #

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Puree everything in a blender/food processor. Well,not the meat or beans, but the veggie part.

9. Kati January 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM #

Angie – One more question…the directions mention celery, but I don’t see it in the ingredients list. Celery yes? Or no?

10. Angela January 13, 2010 at 4:29 PM #

Ew. Definitely no on my end. That’s why it’s missing from the list of ingredients, lol. I put celery in nothing though. I think cooked celery is gross. I’ll have to fix the recipe, thanks for pointing it out!

11. Nicole January 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM #

I love chili! We use Carroll Shelby’s Original Texas Chili seasoning mix and really love it. It has just the right amount of heat for our tender Midwestern tastebuds, but isn’t bland at all.

12. Amy Kathryn January 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM #

We have always used Fritos and cheese in our chili. Lately, I have been taking a shortcut and using crushed Doritos for a cheesy crunch…

Chili and baked ziti are my goto meals in the winter.

13. Kati January 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM #

Oh good! I don’t like celery either! Thank you!

14. Annmarie January 15, 2010 at 12:35 AM #

I love chili, cheese and Fritos.

15. Anna October 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM #

Angie-My friend made this and gave us some of her batch and we fell in love. I’m not a chili lover and I scarfed this down like a fat kid and a cupcake! We ate the chili with shredded cheese, chopped fresh onion and a dollop of sour cream. Delicious! We also took our neighbors suggestion and ate it with warm flour tortillas. It tastes like a warm cheesy chili burrito!

16. Angie November 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM #

I’m so glad you liked it, Anna! I made it for dinner tonight. I still am really happy with this recipe (and I’m not a chili lover either).

17. fulfillment software November 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM #

Thank you for this blog post.Excellent advice.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Weekly menu: 9/11-9/17 | Nice Mommy~Evil Editor - September 11, 2010

[…] Chili using stew meat (recipe here). Leftover cornbread. This can be done in the crockpot so it’s ready when we get home from […]