6 Responses to “Are you watching?”

1. Kathleen February 18, 2010 at 12:58 PM #

You’re REALLY making me feel bad that I can’t watch it! I’m not a big sports fan, yet I love, love, love the Olympics. But… I have no TV. As in we-only-got-two-channels-and-we-don’t-pay-for-cable-so-we-didn’t-even-get-the-digital-signal-box.

Two years ago I watched the Olympics quite happily on nbcolympics.com. But the organization of it this year STINKS. I can’t watch live or full events because I’m not a paying subscriber to cable or satelite. (You have to log in through your local provider to prove that you already pay for TV before you can watch it on the Internet, which makes NO sense to me, outside of it being a money-making racket). So all I can do is watch clips, and the only way to watch those is “so-and-so’s gold medal run” and “this-person’s silver-medal performance” which TOTALLY ruins the excitement of competition! ::sigh::

So I’m sitting here trying not to be too jealous of everyone who gets to watch Olympic competition, and unable to believe the fact that I’m actually MISSING ALMOST ALL OF IT!!! aaaaauuuuurrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Rant over for the day.

2. Terri February 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM #

Gotta love Julia Mancuso’s tiara. And someone known as “The Flying Tomato,” who does tricks called “Double McTwists.” Other than that … snooze.

Waiting for baseball and spring.

My take here: http://www.dreamvoyagers.blogspot.com

3. Kristen Painter February 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM #

I’m watching! I love the games and am just glued to them.

4. Jenny Bullough February 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM #

I’m not a sports fan either but I have totally caught Olympic fever. Although I am cheering for my native land because we’re hosting, and for Finland because of our office pool, I also get swept up in the athletes’ individual achievements regardless of the nation they’re representing. That includes Shaun White’s incredible performance yesterday.

I agree, his sheer love of the sport clearly came across; even though he’s the acknowledged master of the sport, he reacted to his win as if it were his first! That’s infectious, and you can’t help but feel proud for any athlete who reacts that way, no matter whose flag is raised at BC Place.

5. Fedora February 18, 2010 at 3:23 PM #

Oh yes! We’re watching when we can! I can’t just leave it on all day or I’d be glued to the tube…

6. Kate Davies February 21, 2010 at 12:38 AM #

I *love* the Olympics. I especially love the winter games. But NBC’s decision to tape-delay the coverage for the west coast has pretty much sucked all the enjoyment out of the games for me this year. Thanks to Twitter and the national news websites, I know the results of all the events before it even airs here. Even when I try to avoid spoilers, they still slip through. I still watch the events I love, but it’s not nearly as much fun anymore.

Yes, I’m a little bitter. 🙂