16 Responses to “Weekly menu 4/11-4/17/10 (Tax week. Bleh)”

1. Amy Ruttan April 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM #

Tonight we’re having this new recipe. It’s called Farmhouse Chicken. I got it off the Kraft Canada website. So far it smells super yummy.

Monday it will be chicken enchiladas.

Tuesday Frozen Pizza because it’s Sparks night and that is insanely busy that night.

Wednesday Parmesan Penne Primavera.

Thursday most likely leftovers.

Friday. πŸ™‚ I better get dinner out it’s my birthday. I also know Ice Cream Cake will be on the menu.

Saturday I’m going to make a roast chicken. I get my whole roast chickens free thanks to my MIL. She raises them and kills them … which scares me a bit, but I know they chickens are wholesome and grain fed. LOL!

That’s just a rough idea. It could change depending on my mood.

2. Natasha A. April 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM #

Sunday – Chili nachos
    Monday – Night out
    Tuesday – Spaghetti with cheesy garlic bread
    Wednesday – Ribs and scalloped potatoes

And…that is all I have so far. I am off this week so things may change. Also, I believe I saw somewhere that it is Grilled Cheese sandwich month, so I may have to throw one of those in too πŸ˜€

3. Angela April 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM #

You might like this post, Natasha:

4. Natasha A. April 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM #

YES! That is where I saw it! πŸ˜€ Thanks for reminding me Angela!

5. Keira Soleore April 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM #

This is what I’m doing for this week. It’s a tad ambitious but since I didn’t cook at all this past week, perhaps it’s penance, too.

Thanks, Angie, for that link to soup-n-sandwich site. I’m going to do that one night next week.

Sun: Baked Omelette, Roasted Red Potatoes, Roasted Apples
    Mon: Slow cooker chicken + Broccoli, Edamame, Couscous
    Tues: Indian Nite: Chana Masala, Daal + Spinach, Rotis
    Wed: Shakshuka, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Rice
    Thurs: Mint Corn, Kale-Orange Salad, Red-Lentil-Chard Stew, Quinoa
    Fri: Indian Nite: Green Beans + Coconut, Daal + Kastoori Methi, Rice
    Sat: Leftovers
    Sun: Leftovers

6. Natasha A. April 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM #

Keira, have you tried that Chana recipe before? I have tried making before, but the result wasn’t great…. Although I am lucky that we have an Indian place about every 10 blocks where I live and it is relatively cheap to buy πŸ˜€

7. dawn April 11, 2010 at 8:53 PM #

monday – turkey roll-up with cream cheese, raspberry preserves, yellow peppers, lettuce and provolone cheese
    green beans with bacon
    baked apples

tuesday – left-overs

wednesday – ham, corn and bean soup
    cucumber, avocado and smoked salmon tea sandwiches
    cottage cheese
    pineapple empanaditas

thursday – chicken pesto pizza
    battered zucchini sticks (baked)
    wilted spinach with lemon, curry and coconut milk dressing
    frozen grapes

friday – biscuits and country gravy or biscuits and chocolate gravy (depends on mood)
    goat cheese, red pepper and asparagus souffle
    sweet potato pancakes
    cantelope

saturday – crusted parmesan garlic pork chops (good seasonings recipe)
    cesear salad
    real fruit (and mint) popsicles

sunday – bacon-wrapped filet mignon with blueberry-bourbon barbeque sauce
    potato salad
    pears baked in riesling with blue cheese

8. Keira Soleore April 11, 2010 at 10:53 PM #

Natasha, was this the very same chana recipe you tried and it didn’t work? I have never tried it before. I usually find Indian cookbooks to be very finicky and hard to follow. Since I’ve tried other Smitten Kitchen recipes, I thought I’d give this one a try.

Dawn, I want to eat at your house. WOW! I’d love to know your pears in Riesling recipe.

9. Natasha A. April 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM #

@Keira, nope, it wasn’t that recipe πŸ™‚ Let us (me!!!!) know how it turns out? πŸ˜€

10. dawn April 12, 2010 at 11:39 AM #

keira, here you go:

4 bosc pears with stems (make sure they are ripe)
    2 cups riesling
    1/2 cup honey
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon orange zest
    4 cinnamon sticks
    4 bay leaves
    4 strips orange peel
    6 Tbsp bleu cheese

preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    cut bottom of pear flat and place in a square glass baking dish or glass pie pan.
    whisk wine, honey, nutmeg and orange zest in a medium bowl until well blended; pour over pears.
    add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and orange peel slivers to the liquid.
    bake pears, basting every 10 to 15 minutes, until they are wrinkled and tender (45 minutes to 1 hour).
    remove pears to shallow dessert bowls and chill. remove bay leaves and throw away. remove cinnamon stick but keep to use as garnish if desired.
    pour the wine mixture into a small saucepan; bring to a boil until thickened (6 to 10 minutes). add 2 tablespoons blue cheese and melt.
    when ready to serve, drizzle warm liquid over cold pears. arrange 1 tablespoon blue cheese at the base of each pear and cinnamon stick garnish.

**also good with red wine (use sugar instead of honey), dried cherries and ricotta; chenin blanc, cyrstalized ginger, dill havarti and slivered almonds; drizzled with melted dark chocolate and creme fraiche.

11. dawn April 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM #

shoot, sorry, i forgot to add the 6 tablespoons blue cheese to the ingredient list.

12. Angela April 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM #

Oh, Dawn, that recipe looks amazing! I updated your first comment to include bleu cheese in the ingredient list so it’s complete πŸ™‚

Now I want someone to come and make that for me. Actually, I still want to go live at Dawn’s house.

13. Keira Soleore April 12, 2010 at 10:35 PM #

OMG!! I’m in foodie heaven just imagining that one and its variations. I have to try it someday soon. Thanks a ton, Dawn.

Natasha, I’ll report back on my success, or lack thereof. πŸ™‚

Angie, we need to organize a field trip to Dawn’s house. πŸ˜€

14. dawn April 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM #

thanks angela!

you guys are welcome anytime! i’d love to have a chance to cook for you! πŸ™‚

15. Keira Soleore April 17, 2010 at 7:17 PM #

Natasha, the chana masala turned out very well. I made the cumin powder myself (dry roasted cumin seeds in a skillet on the stove and then ground them).

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Weekly menu 4/11-4/17/10 (Tax week. Bleh)Β |Β Whipped Out -- Topsy.com - April 12, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Angela James. Angela James said: It's Sunday and that means Weekly Menu Planning on Whipped Out. What's on your menu this week? http://bit.ly/9PpOHY […]