6 Responses to “Ask an editor: What do you love?”

1. Jen August 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM #

I’m with you on the Insurmountable Odds. The higher the stakes, the higher my interest.

I’m also a sucker for snappy dialogue where both parties can more than hold their own. Sort of like watching a Wimbledon match…you’re never sure who’s going to win the volley.

2. Shannon Stacey August 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM #

Geez, you don’t want much. :p

3. Katrina August 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM #

For me it’s:

1) A wicked-smart heroine. She better be able to hold her own in any situation.

2) A hero with lots of room for improvement. Whether he’s morally bankrupt, emotionally wounded or just not-quite-honest, I love it when a hero has to change a lot during a novel. This might seem to run counter to my big hate (heroes who have a personality transplant at the end of the book), but a skillful writer will give the hero lots of challenges throughout a novel so his growth is realistic.

3) A gritty story. Whether it’s old favorites like Laura Kinsale (Seize the Fire and Flowers from the Storm) or new ones like Kaki Warner (Pieces of Sky and Open Country) and Judith James (Libertine’s Kiss), I love a story that’s not yippy-dippy. Give me some realism and I’ll be better able to relate to the characters.

4. Lisa J August 26, 2010 at 9:28 PM #

I love when a book makes me laugh (see Garwood Historicals or just about any Dana Marie Bell book). They aren’t slapstick, just quirky enough to be funny. The problem – too much quirky and I don’t like the book.

A kick butt heroine and/or hero is always a crowd pleaser at my house (see Nalini Singh’s Branded by Fire).

5. Amanda August 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM #

One thing I love is when it’s the heroine who’s all screwed up, not the hero. So many romances have the great woman and the messed-up, non-committal guy. I love seeing a tortured heroine who doesn’t want to get near a real relationship with a ten-foot pole. Let the guy convince the girl for once!

6. Elyse Mady August 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM #

Sexual tension and desire are must haves for me. Sometimes I read books and the attraction between the hero and heroine seems so paltry and thin that when they finally (or immediately!) get in the sack that it’s like ‘ho-hum’ *flip,flip,flip*. I want attraction that sparkles, crackles, makes me ache to find out how they’re going to get together and when. And sometimes, less is more. Tension doesn’t have to mean the full, erotic monty IMHO – in the right hands, a touch can be way more effective than the whole enchilada and keeps me turning the pages at a feverish pace!