12 Responses to “What’s your favorite #DragonBook?”

1. AmyBeth Inverness May 26, 2011 at 3:41 PM #

I absolutely love dragons, but I’ve read very few of these. The theme can get overused too easily.

The word “prominent” stopped me from mentioning my first choice (So I voted for Pern instead.)

Even more than dragons, I love sea monsters. Robert Silverberg’s “Majipoor” trilogy (Lord Valentine’s Castle, etc) includes giant “Sea Dragons” that are more than sentient, they are even more intelligent than humans, and yet they quietly exist in the deep oceans, having little interaction with mankind and the other sentient races on the planet.

2. Erastes May 26, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

What? No one mentioned Song of Ice and Fire Saga by George R R Martin?

3. Michelle May 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM #

I am behind on Twitter today so I missed your question. You have all my favorites in your list. By far the Temeraire series by Novik is my favorite. It is the Napoleonic War but with dragons written in an Austenesque style. I adore it.

4. Christine Ashworth May 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM #

My favorite dragon series is, hands down, Anne McCaffrey’s Pern books, most especially the first trilogy and the first harper hall trilogy. The rest of the books go in and out for me – not even sure any more how many there are – but those first six caught my heart over 20 years ago and I’m still reading them.

And now, so are my sons!

5. Maria Zannini May 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM #

PERN!!!

I didn’t care as much for her later books, but the first trilogy is everything I look for in world building and tension.

6. Tory Michaels May 27, 2011 at 1:03 AM #

Melanie Rawn’s Dragon Price and Dragon Star trilogies. Awesome, LONG books. I love ’em, even now so many years later.

7. Kristi Lea May 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM #

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the Eragon series. The movie looked beautiful, so I had to read the book first (books are always so much better than the movies and they leave out important stuff from the movies…). I ended up reading the rest of the series, and am still waiting on the last(next?) book.

It looks like Robin Hobb’s Liveship Traders series was mentioned, but the dragons are also in teh Assassins series (at least the third book, which I suppose is a bit of a spoiler).

8. Angie May 27, 2011 at 9:05 AM #

@Kristi, I think the Eragon series is Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance series, right? It’s up there under multiple mentions!

@Erastes not one single person mentioned Martin! I haven’t read the books, so I didn’t realize it was such an omission!

9. Lynnd May 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM #

I really liked the Last Dragonlord and Dragon and Phoenix by Joanne Bertin (Dragon shifters). which were published about 10 or so years ago There is a rumour that she has finally written the third book in the series, Bard’s Oath. Does anyone know if this rumour is true and when that book might be coming out.

10. Steven May 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM #

I LOVE the Patricia C Wrede novels! Definitely one of the best YA series I read growing up

11. Sara Nash June 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM #

I must enthusiastically recommend The Empress Sword by Paulette Jaxton. It just came out recently, and a dragon is a main character.

12. MinnChica June 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM #

You must add the Myths and Magic series by Keri Arthur!!! They are amazing!!!