I made it home about midnight last night. I was exhausted and I still have the raspy, smoke-filled bar voice. My husband thinks it’s sexy. All I need to do is find another room filled with hundreds of people smoking non-stop day and night for five days and I can get it back again.
I was happy to be home, happy to be sleeping in my own bed and happy to hug my family. This morning, the first two things Brianna says to me (after “Mommy!” with a big grin on her face) are “Where’s Daddy?” and “Did you bring your computer back?” Now THAT made me laugh.
I haven’t done any significant work today. Answering emails and catching up on stuff. No real editing. I’m taking most of tomorrow off too, to take Brianna to the playground/zoo. This morning she had daycare and I went grocery shopping. When I picked her up, we went to the pet store and had a grand time. I’m not going to rush back to work though I have deadlines to meet, because I want to spend some time with her. I’ll have all of Wednesday/Thursday to work.
I’ve got pictures from the booksigning and I’ve sent out a call for other Samhain author/staff pictures so I can upload them to my photo album here on my website and share them. I also took a few other pictures of non-Samhain authors that I’ll share.
I had a great time and I do have more to blog about, but I think I need to give my brain a chance to decompress first!
1. Cindy Cruciger is avoiding me. I’m convinced of it. First she was “sick” Uh-huh. Then she comes to “find” me when I’m right in the middle of something (like speaking to a room full of aspiring authors or eating dinner). Clearly she’s afraid to find out if I really order chianti and fava beans.
2. RT is one long party. I’ve spent more time in the bar than in my own room, I believe. Including sleep time.
3. People are always hungry at RT. Why? Because they’re always on the run from one thing to another and don’t have time to eat.
4. I’m tired already.
5. Linnea Sinclair is wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I just barely refrained from jumping up and down when I met her and have since had several conversations with her.
6. There’s a lot of booze consumed and a lot of cigarettes smoked at this conference.
7. The hotel is beautiful and the staff have been wonderful. The elevators are glass elevators and that’s cool.
8. But holy smokes are the food/drink expensive. As is internet connection (ten bucks a day). Yowch.
9. Readers are passionate about their favorite authors and books. Thankfully, no fistfights have broken out yet but I think it’s only because Jane and Sybil aren’t here to really stir people up 😉
10. Did I forget to tell you I’m tired already?
11. I met Keri Arthur! I’ve been talking about her Riley Jensen books for months now, ever since I got the ARCs and I finally got to meet her! I didn’t actually get to stop and talk because I had my hands full and was on my way somewhere, but I got to meet her, at least!
12. Despite having met too many people to count, being approached, introduced and tracked down, there are still a huge number of people I know are here but who I haven’t spoken with yet (besides Cindy Cruciger who’s avoiding me).
13. If I don’t get more sleep, I’m going to be half-dead when I get home.
Bonus 14: The Left Behind contest is still running until next week!
I’m off to the Romantic Times Convention in Houston, Texas in under 24 hours and I’m feeling bad for those of you who can’t go. So I put the call out to my authors: Give me prizes! We’ve come up with 5 prize packages that I think should knock your socks off!
Here’s how to enter. After the “jump” you’ll find each prize basket described and a list of questions under them. You can enter for one basket or you can enter for all of them but each entry must be done in a seperate email.
In the subject line write: Left Behind Contest and the number of the contest you’re entering. As I said, you can enter each one, but each must be entered in a seperate email. Entries all on one email will be disqualified. Entries with incorrect answers will be disqualified.
All the contests are open to residents of Canada/US. International readers may enter contests#4 and #5 (because of the gift cards in the prize packages 1 to 3, they cannot go to international entrants, sorry!) but you will be eligible for any extra prize draws that I do!
All entries must be emailed to email@example.com and must be received by Monday, April 30th. Prize winners will be emailed by Wednesday, May 2nd and will have one week to claim their prize and provide mailing information. Any unclaimed prizes will be kept by me. Okay, not really, I’ll just draw a new name 🙂
Oh, and did I mention that I might throw in a print book or two of winner’s choice from “my” authors’ Samhain backlist and up the number of winners? And you never know what else I might bring home from RT and decide to throw in for prizes!
*permission to forward granted*
For Kelly 🙂 I found these on the memory card when I was uploading the fish pictures. I took these last week, isn’t she adorable?
(just as a reminder, the new lightbox plugin allows you to click on one picture and then go to the next, without leaving that picture screen, just move your mouse up to the upper right corner of the picture and “next” will appear. To go back, move to the left of the picture and “prev” will appear)