A few wrong turns, a few hundred miles and more than a few hours later, we made it to Georgia. I haven’t been here long enough to form an opinion, but I will say that the road-kill armadillos amused me (not that they were road kill, but that there were road kill armadillos. I’m used to raccoons). The trip was actually a bit productive for me as I plugged my laptop in to the AC/DC invertor we bought (plugs into the cigarette lighter) and read submissions. I composed the emails as I went so when we arrived at the hotel I connected and boom, made about 8 authors either very happy or very unhappy all at the same time! I’m planning on trying to finish them off or as close to as possible on the return trip on Sunday. As long as we’re on relatively straight roads. If the roads are very windy, I get carsick if I read. I’m just lucky I can work at all, I used to get carsick just being IN the car.
Thanks for all the well-wishes on the eye thing. As it turns out, I got a big scratch under my upper eye lid. Or in the optometrists technical terms “A REALLY BIG scratch”. No, I don’t know how I did that. I got some antibiotics to make sure I don’t develop an infection and a stern admonishment not to wear my contacts for a week but to come back on Monday for a follow-up. This caused a big groan from me as I wear sunglasses everywhere because my eyes are light sensitive and traveling without sunglasses? *groan* Good news is my regular sunglasses kind of slide right over my glasses without being too awkward. I did take a picture of myself wearing Brianna’s cheapie sunglasses the first day (because they were very dark and I needed that with the injured eye). If I can figure out how to get it off my new Blackberry and to my email, I’ll share it.
Speaking of the Blackberry (a Blackberry Pearl) have I told you how much I love this phone? I’ve got internet service on it and it’s come in handy a few minutes. There is still a lot I can’t do with it–like send email from the phone though I’m supposed to be able to–but it’s a very cool little toy. Yes, toy. I mean, uh, piece of business equipment. Which I’ve personalized with a cool dragon theme, special ringtones (when Josh calls me, it plays Crazy Bitch, which he thinks is quite nifty) and a few games. What’s a phone without games?
So far we haven’t done much. Checked into the hotel and had dinner with Crissy and Amanda. Drove around the business district and found..score! A Krispy Kreme with the “hot now” sign lit. If you’ve never had a hot now Krispy Kreme donut, you cannot possibly appreciate the sugar-induced euphoria this caused. We bought a dozen, I ate two immediately. It’s like eating air and sugar because they dissolve in your mouth. Yum 🙂
Tomorrow, we’re going to drive around the area and then have a cookout at Crissy’s tomorrow night. Y’all be good now, you hear? (see how I’m already picking up that southern drawl? 😉 )
Because I don’t deal well with leaving town or having an overly full schedule. My brain gets stressed and when it gets stressed, it shuts down. And then I can’t think of a thing to blog about or focus my brain long enough to get a coherent post out.
Josh and I are going to Georgia, leaving this evening. Brianna is staying with my MIL until Sunday. She’ll have a great time, be thoroughly spoiled and probably fully rotten when we get back.
We’re going to check out the area while we’re down there, spend some time with Crissy. One night we’re going to meet up with Josh’s best friend and his wife. Josh hasn’t seen them since their wedding…three years ago? And I’ve only met Greg once, almost five years ago, but never his wife, so we’re looking forward to that.
Otherwise, we don’t have big plans for while we’re there, just looking around mostly.
In the meantime, I still have laundry to do. None of the three of us are packed. Oh, and I woke up this morning with my eye feeling like it had something in it. Burning ooh burning. And light sensitive? To take Brianna to daycare, I had to wear a pair of Brianna’s cheap, like 25cent sunglasses because they’re huge and dark and fit over my glasses. I looked special 😉 I have an eye appointment in an hour and a half and I’m really cussing because, darn it, leaving town is hard enough without adding something like this in to the mix!
Last thing, I did pick winners for the Left Behind contest last week, but I’m not going to announce them until I get back because I don’t want anyone waiting for a package I won’t be able to mail until next week.
Is at Romancing the Blog. Where it might sound like I’m whining, but I’m really not. I swear.
So all Friday I’ve been staring at this empty blog page, thinking there’s something I’m supposed to be blogging today. What? I couldn’t remember! About an hour ago I realized it was Friday and I’d missed Free Book Friday. Duh!
Here’s the deal, I don’t have any releases next Tuesday so I’m going to give whoever wins a choice of a print book from my backlist (ie: my authors’ Samhain backlist). There are a good 20 to 30 books on that list so you’ll have a selection. I haven’t counted lately how many there are, but I’ll give you a list to choose from.
Everyone is eligible to enter. All you have to do is answer this question in the comments: What is (or was) your mom’s name and did she have/does she have a special talent?
My mom’s name was Mary (Brianna is Brianna Mary after her) and she was an amazing artist when it came to cross-stitching. She could stitch at an astonishing speed, finishing complicated pictures in a short time frame, and the back of her pictures was almost as neat and beautiful as the front. I have some of her work and I treasure it.
1. I forgot to blog yesterday. I wanted to blog, I had stuff to talk about, I was just…busy.
2. I’ve been watching Torchwood on my Zen player. I think that needs its own blog though, because I want to ramble on and on about it. I’ll spare you for now.
3. I haven’t read (work reading not included) since last weekend. Spare time has been dedicated to one episode of Torchwood a night or…
4. Obsessing over the fish tank. Major obsessing. Like give me meds obsession. We have high nitrate and brown algae problems (as a result of too much light and too much nitrate). Neither is an easy fix so…I obsess.
5. And because of the high nitrates (I think) I killed my brand new cleaner shrimp. *sniff* I was very distraught.
6. Josh and I are going on a road trip to Georgia next week. Leaving Wednesday night, back Sunday. It will be the first time the two of us together have been away from Brianna for a length of time.
7. So now I’m obsessing about what happens if we both die on that roadtrip. More meds needed.
8. In approximately one hour (just under) Dale Earnhardt Jr is making a “major announcement”. My guess? He’s leaving DEI. Regardless, he’s my boy so I don’t care who he drives for, as long as he drives. ETA: I was right, he announced he’s leaving and put himself on the market for a new team. *sniff* He looked like it was a hard announcement to make, and gave a nice statement. Let the speculation begin on who will hire him.
ETA #2: since it’s likely the #8 will stay at DEI, I’ll bet you can pick up some cheap #8 items starting today, lolol.
9. And in a few weeks, on June 3rd, I’ll be seeing Junior in person at the Dover Nascar races. Squeee.
10. That’s the same weekend as BEA in New York which I’m still contemplating attending Friday/Saturday.
11. Along with the Long Island RWA chapter’s luncheon on June 15th, which I was invited to. I just have to look at the daggone train schedule and figure out how that will work, because I am NOT driving in Long Island.
12. Now that I’m almost done with Torchwood (I have three episodes left) I need a new TV show to put on the Zen player. I’m thinking about Heroes. People seem to like it. Or maybe I should do Battlestar Galactica since Josh and I never seem to get around to watching it together. Or I could start rewatching Buffy. Or I could watch Angel. I only watched the first season of that, despite my love for David Boreanaz.
13. My new Blackberry Pearl is supposed to arrive via UPS today. Yay! More things to distract me from work. All my authors with waiting subs and edits will be sooo pleased!