This is the second recipe I made to use up some of the leftover ham. As it happened, I had half a bag of refrigerator hash browns leftover from this past weekend, so it was a double whammy of using up leftovers. Since I used refrigerated hash browns (Simply Potato hash browns) and not frozen ones, it was even easier (no thawing and squeezing out of excess water needed). I tried this both right when I made it and again reheated the next day, and it was good. Excellent dinner or breakfast option. Also, this would be super easy to adapt and add different veggies or meats to it. Ours had a small amount of crumbled bacon added in.
My only note would be that with the ham, bacon and cheese, it was salty enough on its own, I don’t think it would have needed the seasoning salt. I’ll skip that next time and use other spices. I did add chives in with my egg mixture, because I love chives, and I doubled the egg mixture as well (I’m sure there was more than a cup of ham thrown in there). I baked mine in an 8×8 glass casserole dish because my pie pan is currently in use for a pecan pie and like I said, it was great.
* 3 cups shredded hash brown potatoes
* 1/3 cup butter, melted
* seasoning salt to taste
* 1 cup diced cooked ham
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup milk
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Press hash browns onto the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie dish. Drizzle with melted butter, and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
3. In a small bowl, combine ham, onion and shredded cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and a little seasoning salt. When crust is ready, spread ham mixture on the bottom, then cover with egg mixture.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown.
You can bake this quiche, and refrigerate for up to 2 days in advance, then reheat in the microwave. It also freezes well.